1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I hated to do it, but I had to cull the runt today

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by F106A, Oct 15, 2011.

1. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    Well, like the subject line says, it was tough, but probably for the best.

My last Leghorn -- the "runt" of the flock -- has been picked on since they were all juveniles. I don't know how many times I've had to segregate her after they tore up her comb, or her rear end.

Today was the worse day, however. This morning they were all fine. The kids were out checking for eggs a couple hours or so ago, and came in hollering that the BRs were, "tearing up the Leghorn!" Oh geez. Her entire right, rear was torn open and bleeding badly. The BRs were going at it like white on rice. I got her out of there, but she couldn't even stand up.

Without going into details I put her out of that misery. (No, the kids didn't see me do it.) I don't have the money to get her taken care of properly, or the time to keep her segregated properly between work and school, so in my opinion, this was best. The rest of the flock would start off on her again anyway if I got her back to health, and I've had enough of this.

Down to 13 in the flock now from the original 18. Three were Roos I gave away, and one died a few months ago.

The circle of life continues...

Mark

2. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    You probably made the wisest decision. It's hard being the one that has to make the tough/practical decisions.

Deb

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You had to do what you had to do. I wouldve done the same, no need for the runt to suffer any further.

4. curious1969

curious1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Northwest Montana
    It is always hard, but better than the poor baby suffering. So sorry for you! [​IMG]

5. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    Thank you everybody.

You know, she was a pretty good egg layer too. The only white eggs I got were from her, although not everyday. Usually she layed every other day, but they all were large. That surprised me considering how tiny she was, but this is my first experience raising chickens.

We probably won't replace any of our chickens until next spring, so she will be missed.

Again, thank you. I know I did the right thing.

Mark

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by