I have (2) 1.5 month emus. 1 had a splayed leg, other hurt leg, can't get up on their own.

Streetscene

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 10, 2018
I have (2) 1.5 month emus. Took them to vet when they were 24 days old cause 1 has splayed leg and took to the vet. Put a hobble on him said come back 3 days. While I was gone to vet the other hurt his leg (leg was twisted facing backwards). So I took both of them to the vet. Vet took an xray and said she didn't see anything wrong, but has popping in joints, growth plates not grown together. She put a hobble on the one and wrapped the other ones leg up. Wasn't working what vet did so we made them both wheelchairs so they could move around with both legs hobbled. Did this for 1 week. Took them out of wheelchairs and removed hobbles. Their legs no longer turn outwards. But know they can walk but very stiffly and if they fall over they can't get up on their own. They walk around like they are drunk part of time. The one with the splayed leg seems like it is turning out again and is smaller than the other(they are a day apart). The one with the injured leg tries really hard but just can't get him up from falling on his side. Also they can't seem to lay down flat on stomach, they have their heads on ground and their butt in air. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The reality here is clear enough. It's just that no one wants to say it:

you can invest some more time and effort (and money); but you need to come to terms with the fact that having one or both euthanised is probably best for them if they are not clearly well on their way to permanent recovery in a month or so.

In a month, they'll be ten weeks old, and should be running miles a day at high speed.

Supreme Emu, Lake Muir, Western Australia

Back
Top Bottom