I have 2 breeds of chicks that look alike. How do I tell them apart?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MelanieOzuna, May 23, 2012.

1. MelanieOzuna

MelanieOzuna In the Brooder

May 2, 2012
    I have Blue Orpington chicks and Silver Sussex (I think) chicks. Is it possible to tell them apart? Im new to this and I didn't know they would look exactly alike. I actually got the eggs from a gal that sold me light sussex so I thought they would all be born yellow. How old do they have to be before I start being able to tell them apart?

2. Pele

Pele Songster

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    The only Sussex chicks that I can think of that may resemble Blue Orp chicks is a Coronation Sussex. Silver Sussex chicks are a lot darker in coloration, almost black.

If that is the case, you'll have to wait till they're about 2 to 3 weeks when they start growing in feathers around their tails and neck areas. On a Coronation Sussex, they'll develop black feathers in those places. Blue Orps should keep to blue.

Hope that helps a bit!

3. nakstk

nakstk Songster

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    Are their legs different colors? you might be able to tell by their legs. Sussex have pink legs.

4. MelanieOzuna

MelanieOzuna In the Brooder

May 2, 2012
    Even the dark Sussex have pink legs? All mine have black legs that fade to flesh color to the toe. I have a picture on my page you can kinda see what I mean.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  5. nakstk

nakstk Songster

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    Yep from what I have read. Here is a copy n paste from Wiki on Sussex appearance "The colors found in Sussex chickens are: Brown, Buff, Light, Red, Speckled, Silver, White and Coronation. The Sussex chicken, whatever color, should be graceful with a long, broad, flat back and a rectangular build, the tail should be at a 45 degree angle from the body. The eyes should be red in the darker varieties but orange in the lighter one and they sport a medium sized, single, erect comb. The earlobes are red and the legs and skin white in every variety.Cocks should weigh approx 9 lbs, and the hens (females) 7 lbs. The Brown and red varieties are rare but the others are more common."

Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: