I have 2 breeds of chicks that look alike. How do I tell them apart?

MelanieOzuna

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 2, 2012
I have Blue Orpington chicks and Silver Sussex (I think) chicks. Is it possible to tell them apart? Im new to this and I didn't know they would look exactly alike. I actually got the eggs from a gal that sold me light sussex so I thought they would all be born yellow. How old do they have to be before I start being able to tell them apart?

The only Sussex chicks that I can think of that may resemble Blue Orp chicks is a Coronation Sussex. Silver Sussex chicks are a lot darker in coloration, almost black.

If that is the case, you'll have to wait till they're about 2 to 3 weeks when they start growing in feathers around their tails and neck areas. On a Coronation Sussex, they'll develop black feathers in those places. Blue Orps should keep to blue.

Hope that helps a bit!

Even the dark Sussex have pink legs? All mine have black legs that fade to flesh color to the toe. I have a picture on my page you can kinda see what I mean.

Last edited:
Yep from what I have read. Here is a copy n paste from Wiki on Sussex appearance "The colors found in Sussex chickens are: Brown, Buff, Light, Red, Speckled, Silver, White and Coronation. The Sussex chicken, whatever color, should be graceful with a long, broad, flat back and a rectangular build, the tail should be at a 45 degree angle from the body. The eyes should be red in the darker varieties but orange in the lighter one and they sport a medium sized, single, erect comb. The earlobes are red and the legs and skin white in every variety.Cocks should weigh approx 9 lbs, and the hens (females) 7 lbs. The Brown and red varieties are rare but the others are more common."

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom