I have 2 broody hens - what should I incubate??

MontanaChickDoc

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 2, 2016
central Virginia
I started putting artificial lights on my ladies in December to stimulate an earlier ramp up in egg production, and it's working, but I also have 2 hens that are so convinced it's spring that they have gone broody. Sheesh. In January. I sell all the eggs I have (hence the lighting) so I don't want to give them any of mine...so I'd like to order some...what should I get? One is a silkie (of course) first time broody (but probably not the last!!) and the other is an olive egger I hatched and raised myself from a black Americauna hen x CCL roo. She raised babies last year and is a good mom. I figure I can tuck a dozen between them...but what should I get? rare? common? colored egg layers? tried and true? complete unknown? luck of the draw...so hard to choose. Help! :D

Exciting!

What would you like? Something new and flashy to add your flock? Some colored egg layers? Something to really boost your egg production? Maybe there's a breed you've had your eye on for awhile?

Also, budget will play a role. And maybe you want something you can find locally so the eggs don't have to be shipped? All things to consider :)

My friend calls my place the International House of Pullets (IHOP) because I have so many different breeds of chickens. Maybe some true Araucanas would be cool...or more ducks even! My ducks are the superior layers compared to my chickens...

Silkie batams mix are really cute and good layers...I have two, they each lay an egg almost everyday...but they’re a smaller breed so smaller eggs...

Attachments

• 2A846B4D-2EC4-4CCF-A6B9-D01064BC02F7.png
    2A846B4D-2EC4-4CCF-A6B9-D01064BC02F7.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 2444A2D2-F41E-4706-83D2-8214E6A77342.jpeg
    2444A2D2-F41E-4706-83D2-8214E6A77342.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Those are gorgeous! I hatched silkie x CCL last summer and every last one was a rooster. What are the odds of that??? I just saw on ebay there are emu eggs for sale. I could put one under each hen. :lau

Maybe some Silver Wyandotte, Rhode Island Red, Cochins, Buff Orphingtons, or leghorns? I know in the future I wanna get some black copper Moran there eggs are super gorgeous!;)

Those are gorgeous! I hatched silkie x CCL last summer and every last one was a rooster. What are the odds of that??? I just saw on ebay there are emu eggs for sale. I could put one under each hen. :lau

Having hatched emu eggs myself, I gotta say I don't think chicken hens are up to the task :lau

I'm incubating luikse vechter right now myself. I'm partial to game breeds.

I got a dozen French black copper marans eggs from a local breeder. They were doing great until day 8 when my hen got tired of setting by herself in her kennel (I was leaving it open during the day and locking it at night) and flew out to join the rest of the flock...and never went back. I was gone all day and late into the night to a funeral in DC area and by the time I figured it out they were stone cold - almost frozen 😭 I put them in the incubator but they are dead. Blood rings x 7. Sigh. The other 5 seem to be doing well under the silkie...I actually took one from her and put it in the incubator, she's not quite big enough to do 5 full sized eggs and one was only being half covered. Fingers crossed...stupid hen. Grrrrr....oh, and she's back to trying to sit eggs in the hen house again. Sorry dummy, I'm not doing THAT again.

Back
Top Bottom