1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I Have 3 Hens That Are Making Me Soooo MAD!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mylilchix, Apr 10, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

My 3 top hens are seriously trying to end up in my freezer!!! They're 2 BA and 1 RIR. First the trio pecked the heck out of the majority of most of my flock, so now my girls look awful. [​IMG] Today I watched the trip attack an egg that was laid in the run. [​IMG] I have never seen anything like it!! The egg had just been laid because I hadn't seen it a minute earlier. I came out of the coop and they started it attacking it like no tomorrow!! By the time I run over they had a big hole in it. I scooped it up, but a little yolk spilled out and they went nuts over it. I was sooooo mad [​IMG] at their behavior. Couldn't believe it!! They get fed well too. We had just brought some meat and lettuce out to them. They get scratch and BOS as treats. If they weren't such good layers I'd remove them today!!

Sonja

2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Ooh a bad girl gang. Sounds like you might need to sit them all down and discuss freezer camp.

3. smokeater413

smokeater413 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    NW Florida
    Cull Them, they can be replaced. Dont tolerate that.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Are they getting enough protein? (They COULD just be jerks who need to go to freezer camp, but you might want to look in to it)

5. mylilchix

My thoughts exactly!! Oooo it makes me mad and really sad. We're attached to the chickens. [​IMG]

Sonja

6. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Make some chicken pot-pies... And send some my way LOL!

7. mylilchix

Quote:2 of them are just jerks! I was surprised to see my RIR do it. They get meat scraps, BOS, and I do a mix of layer feed with game bird feed. I don't know how much more protein they'd need. One BA has been ready for freezer camp for a while!!

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    In that case, FREEZER CAMP!

9. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I say "Off With Their Heads!" Egg eating is a capitol offense! [​IMG]

Can you say DUMPLINGS?

10. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Geeez...and I'm mad at one of mine because she doesn't lay. I just threatened her today, telling DH she wasn't worth the effort to butcher alone - BUT, as soon as the young roos are ready to butcher...she's going too! At least she behaves, no bullying or egg eating! LOL

Soup pot...freezer camp...meat pie...whatever. There is no way I'd put up with three that want to bully the others and act like a gang. Three at once are well worth a bit of butchering time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by