I have 4 muscovys needing to be released but i want to have something on them so i can identify them as they grow and change

It's my back yard . And they usually just stay here sometimes fly off for few months but come back like neebs who is 2 amd a half . Rescued him also
I mean where abouts in the world are you, if US, what state?

It may be illegal to be releasing them, you may be able to find them a home where they will be safe and loved

Sadly I live with my grandfather and he is tired of the mess . But I usually release them when they are age to fly and mate . They were abandoned onour back porch with no mom in sight . If it was my house I'd keep them but I can't and I don't believe anyone near here will take them .
I understand your predicament in keep or release.

I rescue and rehab ducks including muscovy ducklings in NE Florida. I don't rehab wild or feral ducks as house ducks or pets, though. I don't handle them unless necessary and they basically only have ducky company

When it is time to release I have to find a pond or lake that is entirely on private property as release to the wild is illegal in Florida.

That you are planning to release these ducklings back into the wild of your grandfather's back yard is fine.

As for your question about identifying them in the future, legbands are the only durable and safe way of identifying birds in the wild.
As your ducks have had some human contact and care, as written above, they will not be fully wild. I think you should offer food and water daily, away from your house in your grandfather's garden. They can then return for food if they want it. But muscovy are feral in FLorida and neighboring states [and elsewhere I have read on NExtDoor but not seen]. They have not been domesticated for thousands of years like pekins. They can fly and they do have survival instincts. If you let them go, they will do as well as any other muscovy out there in the big world.

I rescue and rehab ducks including muscovy ducklings in NE Florida. I don't rehab wild or feral ducks as house ducks or pets, though. I don't handle them unless necessary and they basically only have ducky company

When it is time to release I have to find a pond or lake that is entirely on private property as release to the wild is illegal in Florida.

That you are planning to release these ducklings back into the wild of your grandfather's back yard is fine.

As for your question about identifying them in the future, legbands are the only durable and safe way of identifying birds in the wild.
As your ducks have had some human contact and care, as written above, they will not be fully wild. I think you should offer food and water daily, away from your house in your grandfather's garden. They can then return for food if they want it. But muscovy are feral in FLorida and neighboring states [and elsewhere I have read on NExtDoor but not seen]. They have not been domesticated for thousands of years like pekins. They can fly and they do have survival instincts. If you let them go, they will do as well as any other muscovy out there in the big world.

But since leave the backyard and go into the wild, isn't that itself illegal still? It's still releasing them

Back
Top Bottom