I have 4 muscovys needing to be released but i want to have something on them so i can identify them as they grow and change

I know, I'm just a bit confused as I was under the impression that once they are taken into captivity, they cannot be released again due to being so invasive- if they are released to the garden but left to fend themselves and turn wild, and fly and go off- I thought that would still fall under "being released into the wild"

I may be wrong or slightly off, I'm not in the states so this isn't something I deal with
Not sure I don't believe so do to it's exactly where I found them . And the past ones usually stay here .

We live off of a huge lake and I feed the wild birds everyday, they feel safe here plenty of food and water. And poop lol . . They are flying and I'm afraid they will get hurt in my patio. I have some bands coming on Tues so I'll put them on and release the next day . Picture is of our backyard at dinner time ❤️
The black one is neebs he was raised from an egg that ny son found that neighbor wanted him to throw in garbage. He did the light check and we couldn't just leave it or throw away .

So what you mean by release is
Letting them off your deck and back out to the pond behind you ?
That’s different then they I thought you first meant
That’s not so bad and you will be able see how they do
Hollowofwisps did give the link to your local state thread in case you did want to find them homes
Yeah I kept them on our patio till they start to fly and mate. One I open the patio door there is a covered patio with 3 large water dish and I feed them every night same time as when they were in patio.

Attachments

• 20221004_130119.jpg
    20221004_130119.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 1
I think they will be fine going out to the lake out back
Yeah . My thing is I hope the bands stay pn because if they change in color I won't know who's who lol . Everyone has a name including the wild ones . If I see the wild out front near neighbors who don't like them I can say mama or drake go home and they will waddle their butts back to our backyard lol

As an FYI

Every year feral muscovy ducklings get left behind by mamma ducks or get water logged and nearly drown. Kind people "pick them up" and then need help. It is only possible to rehab these little fluffies if they can be released to private property or to a wildlife sanctuary. Sanctuaries are few and far between and many have to use ducky contraception -- which is expensive in the USA -- to stop being totally over run with muscovy.

There are huge numbers of ducks needing this help -- including native wild ducks and other non-native [mallards are not native to Florida and are now causing the demise of our own native mottled ducks by interbreeding with them.] It would not be possibel to save the little ducklings if we could not release onto private land.

I keep or find forever homes for all the special needs ducks -- injured, or recovered from illness -- and all domestic ducks. I get overwhelmed at times but I always vet the forever homes as too many people out their want to take ducks to eat them. I had a big scare in January when I was rehoming two pekin drakes. Fortunately my antenae for something off kicked straight in.

Caring for wild or feral ducklings that were in trouble is not domesticating the ducklings if they are raised like wildlife that will be rehabbed and released -- they are not brought in as pets and only handled when necessary. Caring for ducklings on the OP back porch is just fine. They can be legally released into the back garden. They will do as well as any wild born feral muscovy.

Last edited:
As an FYI

Every year feral muscovy ducklings get left behind by mamma ducks or get water logged and nearly drown. Kind people "pick them up" and then need help. It is only possible to rehab these little fluffies if they can be released to private property or to a wildlife sanctuary. Sanctuaries are few and far between and many have to used ducky contraception -- which is expensive -- to stop being totally over run with muscovy.

There are huge numbers of ducks needing this help -- including native wild ducks and other non-nantive [mallards are not native to Florida and had now causing the demise of our own native mottled ducks by interbreeding with them.] It would not be possibel to save the little ducklings if we could not release onto private land.

I keep or find forever homes for all the special needs ducks -- injured, or recovered from illness -- and all domestic ducks. I get overwhelmed at times but I always vet the forever homes as too many people out their want to take ducks to eat them. I had a big scare in January when I was rehoming two pekin drakes. Fortunately my antenae for something off kicked straight in.

Caring for wild or feral ducklings that were in trouble is not domesticating the ducklings if they are raised like wildlife that will be rehabbed and released -- they are not brought in as pets and only handled when necessary
That's how these were . I didn't handle them much I did have to wrap white ones legs because they were sliding outwards. But they have always been near other ducks just on other side of screen patios

That's how these were . I didn't handle them much I did have to wrap white ones legs because they were sliding outwards. But they have always been near other ducks just on other side of screen patios
You did great @Danielleb82 !

I have been detailed in my response so that you are not left thinking you are doing anything illegal by the other responses. You did not "take them from the wild".

I'm sorry I can only think of leg banding to help you identify the ducks in the future/

Back
Top Bottom