i have 7 chickens,

welcome-byc.gif

These pictures are really poor for breed identification, but here's what I see--

First bird could be a cochin--black, and feather legged. I can't see comb or body shape or the entire color, so could also be a Marans or Langshan, or a mixed breed bird

White bird in the second pic--maybe a white Rock. The comb is awful big for a rock, but the body is way too big for a leghorn. I can't tell if the legs are yellow or white?

Third pic doesn't enlarge, but I'm hazarding a guess they're some type of red sex link.

welcome-byc.gif

These pictures are really poor for breed identification, but here's what I see--

First bird could be a cochin--black, and feather legged. I can't see comb or body shape or the entire color, so could also be a Marans or Langshan, or a mixed breed bird

White bird in the second pic--maybe a white Rock. The comb is awful big for a rock, but the body is way too big for a leghorn. I can't tell if the legs are yellow or white?

Third pic doesn't enlarge, but I'm hazarding a guess they're some type of red sex link.
X2, except I do not think the white one in the second picture is a white rock. Body type is wrong and Mine have never got a big comb like that, even my roosters comb isnt that big

The chickens in the picture don't look like bantams at all. I have a 2 or 3 gallon size waterer like the one in the picture and those waterers are fairly big. If you compare the chickens size to the white and red waterer there..those waterers are pretty big and the chickens stand just about as tall as the waterer. I'm sure those chickens are large fowl size.

Last edited:
Looks like mongrels to me. The black one/s look like maybe Black Australorp mixed with something else, and the white and red ones look like what you get if you cross a White Leghorn over an Isabrown or Hybrid Red layer, except one appears to have a coral crest or something like that; I can't enlarge the small photo but they might have some banty in them if they have that sort of crest, but Wyandotte is another option, maybe those red laced types? Sorry, not an expert on breeds. The Sussex might be pure, I don't know. The White Leghorn looking one seems to have meat hybrid in it, perhaps. It's certainly got the body of a meat bird, lol!

To my understanding Bantam refers to the size/weight of the bird not any other trait. Chicken breeders have developed a miniature counterpart of each large (Standard or Large Fowl) chicken called a Bantam. Bantams are normally one-fourth to one-fifth as large as their full-size counterparts, and in addition there are breeds that exist only as Bantams. Read this link, it will clarify it a bit further.http://www.extension.org/pages/65722/bantam#.UxDaVfldWSo You have Standard/Large Fowl white rooster and then his little minnie me Bantam white rooster. They are identical in every way with the same breed standard for both except one is smaller than the other. So a crest on a bird doesn't necessarily point to it having bantam genes in it's line. If I am mistaken someone please clarify : )

Back
Top Bottom