I have a 10 day old chick that is growing slowly and acting strange...

Poor baby! I second the crop observation. I had a little one become unwell close to that age, maybe a little older, but a different situation. As her condition advanced she chirped continuously. Are your chick's legs nice and steady, and is she able to drink water on her own? Good luck moving forward!

You should keep it with the others. Tractor supply will have grit. Petsmart might have parrot grit... But that would only be okay if it was something non-soluble, like granite, not calcium oyster shell or limestone.You could also give sand or little rocks as long as it has edges and isn't a smooth grain.

She is eating and drinking on her own. Just the chirping and visual issues with the crop, but I dont want it to get worse

If I keep it with the others, how would I give it the sand? Just a little bit of it in a bowl? I wouldnt want to negatively impact the other chicks if that's possible

The grit will be good for all of them... in fact it's best if they have access to it as often as possible. No biggie if the other chicks get into it too.
I suggest putting it in a bowl of sorts however, the little nuggets get that stuff everywhere...

Huge relief to hear it is pooping... Definitely keep gently massaging the crop, stroke from the top down and try to dislodge whatever is blocking up the works. Don't push up and out of the throat, more like down and maybe gently squeeze and roll between your fingers.
Give them the sand and keep an eye on it. I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you guys so much. There's 8 hens in a small box and they're normally quiet enough for me to keep my sanity but the one chick is making so much noise I knew something was wrong, I just couldn't tell what until tonight. I'll get some sand and update you all in the morning if anything has changed

Back
Top Bottom