I HAVE A BABY DUCK & SLIGHT EMERGENCY *UPDATED ANOTHER PIC*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bayouchica, Aug 23, 2007.

1. bayouchica

bayouchica Songster

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Well I wasn't expecting them till next week. [​IMG]
    I have one of my Buff Orps sittting on them & she pecked the poor baby to death almost after it hatched.It was a miracle the baby didn't die. :mad:
    I was just checking on my Buff & noticed the baby duck out away from her. grrrrr....
    The little duck has two wounds on it's back & some on the neck & head.The worst are the wounds on the back.
    So I've got it in the house under a light & put some neosproin (sp?) on the wounds...Looks like it went to the bone. I also have a thermometer to watch the temp. I have noticed it is trying to move around & trying to stand up a bit.I'm hoping it'll make it. [​IMG]
    A little good news is the other two eggs have pipped.I still have them under the bad mama Buff in the laundry room in the dark.I'm keeping an eye on her & will take the babies after they hatch out.
    If any of yall can think of something else to help this baby left me know...
    Here's a couple of quick pics...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  2. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Oh No - I wish I knew more - sadly I can't help - perhaps you should post under EMERGENCIES.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Waite 24 hours, then offer it some water, I sure hope it makes it! Good luck!

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Songster

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Oh that poor baby I bet it's in some pain. Is there anything you could give it like a little aspirin in some water?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  5. bayouchica

bayouchica Songster

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Thanks for your replies... I forgot to mention that I did give the baby some V&E, drank just a little.
    Didn't want to give it too much at first.
    Poison Ivy, I don't know about aspirin for her now, since she just hatched. She really isn't interested in drinking.
    Good news !! Baby duck is starting to test out her feet & her eyes are alot more clear now. Breathing is alot better now. [​IMG]

6. SandraChick

SandraChick Songster

glad things are looking up.

Keep us posted!

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

I hope it makes it!

8. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Ouch! I am so sorry to hear that. I'd try giving it some live-culture yogurt, as a probiotic.

9. bayouchica

bayouchica Songster

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hey yall, well had another duck hatch!!! [​IMG]
    The second one was almost half way hatched & I put it with the hurt duck.They are doing jut fine now.I'll try to post some pics tonite or in a.m. [​IMG]
    Still have one more that has pipped pretty good & still under that Buff. :mad:
    What an exciting day !! They are so darn cute [​IMG]
    thanks yall for your help & support [​IMG]

10. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Awww - you need to post more pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: