I have a baby Silkie!!!! Anything I should be doing? First timer

sookiesmom

Songster
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Ocean County, NJ
Will post pics in a little. I'm so excited!!!! Gotta admit that I didn't think any would hatch. Got 7 eggs that we hoped were fertile from someone I met at the 4H tent at a local fair. Is there anything I should do? Baby is under mom and she has another 6 eggs under her. Want to check other eggs as well. Of course she's very protective right now, so don't know if I should just leave her be or move her to check and remove broken egg from baby. Any help is much appreciated!!! This is my first time............I was shaking this morning when I heard the little thing. It's absolutely amazing!!!! Thank you God! Now just hope it's a girl. LOL

Thanks
Natasha
wee.gif

celebrate.gif

Last edited:
Hi I'm a first timer too. Chicks started hatching yesterday. There are 5 so far. My hen and chicks are in a laying box. I'm worried about what to do. do I take them out and put them in a container with a heat lamp or leave them where they are. How will they eat? And one day old and they are picking on each other what's up with that? Ok I'm not leaving this window til someone answers. I can't figure out how to get back to where I posted to see if anyone answered. How do I do that?

Hi, im waiting on my silkies to hatch today is day 21
wee.gif
congrats on yours its so cute, and you can subscribe to this topic at the bottom left side of this page and you will get an e-mail every time someone posts something
ya.gif

mtminstrel, congrats!!!!!! I'm excited for you. As for checking for responses, I would just go back to the incubating & hatching eggs topic and see if anyone replied to this. Or hopefully when you replied, you checked off that you want to subscribe to this topic. That way, when someone adds something, you get an e-mail letting you know. Unfortunately, noone has responded. But my best guess is to let mom do her thing. That's what I'm doing. As for eating, the chicks don't need to eat to 2 or 3 days after they hatch. They eat the nutrients in the egg before they hatch and that keeps them fine for a few days. I do know that much, that's how you can order babies from the companies, because they don't need to eat while they're traveling. Don't know about the picking, but maybe someone will reply or can start your own topic on here.

I just wanted to post a few pics real quick, cuz I'm such a proud 35 year old grandma!!!!
celebrate.gif

51182_baby_chick_8-23-11.jpg

51182_baby_pippie_8-23-11.jpg

Quote:
Lisa I'm excited for you!!!! This little guy hatched at 20 days, maybe sooner. Eggs were laid from August 3-7, and I picked them up on the 7 for my hen to lay on. I've got 2 more eggs out of 7 eggs that have cracks in them. And mom said she could hear tapping in one of the eggs. Lisa do know anything about silkie babies? Heard that one way to find out the sex is that only male silkies have 4 toes, but may have 5, while females only have 5. Have you heard of that?

Congratulations!!
smile.png

We hatched out 10 earlier this year. They are so small!!

One thing I read is to put marbles in their drinking water trough so they don't fall asleep in it and drown. Never had it happen, but I know people that did. So sad!!
Anyway, leave the marbles in for a week or so and that's that!

Oh, and I fed the medicated starter feed to both mom and babies, while they were together. It doesn't hurt mom and helps the babies.

Enjoy them. They grow fast!!

Thank you sookie's mom. I think I'm trying to be too involved but I don't want anything to go wrong. There was a dead baby today. That was a little sad but 5 are good so far. This morning when I went to check on them and a hen came in and tried to get into the same box. I had a hard time getting her out. This is why Lil is sitting on a couple of dozen eggs. Anyway, I got her out and then looked in to see if I could see any babies and in the back was another hen. What the heck is this a hotel? Got her out and Lil was grateful. So in the morning when they are laying I am putting chicken wire in front of her box. What I need is another broody.

Back
Top Bottom