I have a bone to pick with Richmond, VA.

ChenaultHens

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2019
Virginia
I think most of the people on here have given a huge middle finger to their state or county by having more birds than “allowed”. I’m supposed to pay $60 a year for a permit and only have 4 hens (in chicken math, I only have 4, wink wink) But I was reading that the residence are upset because if their dogs attack our chickens then the dog has to be put down. I have an issue with this argument because first of all, we have strict leash and confinement laws, so their dogs shouldn’t be running amuck anyways! Why do I have to suffer because some people can’t control their animals? That’s like telling someone “you can’t have kids around just in case my dog attacks them”. Secondly, there’s hardly any “dog” laws. Why don’t we look at dog attacks VS. a hen attack, people are really scared of a little ole docile hen. I don’t see them complaining when they’re picking up that carton of eggs at Food Lion.

Dog owners can be such stubborn idiots. The obvious solution to prevent your dog from being put down is to prevent it from attacking and killing people’s chickens. Why is that so hard? Be petty and rally all the chicken owners to voice their concerns about dogs being allowed since they pose a greater threat to people and other animals than chickens (Of course this is absurd too and I would never actually advocate for dog bans lol).

Funny post.
I for one don't have to give anyone the finger over my hundreds of birds because I'm purposely out in the country where they're not restricted.
As far as the dog attacks vs hen attacks or hens being a threat I don't get it. Do you or anyone really believe chicken numbers are restricted because of their viciousness? Or the risk of injury to someone? Sounds silly to me that someone would come to that conclusion.
Now as far as putting a dog down for killing one's birds. Don't get me wrong I've put down more dogs then my share for killing my birds and or harassing/killing livestock.
But do I think every time it happens or every situation it should have to be put down? No probably not.
Like said I have no issue and next to no tolerance for it but say a neighbors family pet escapes because someone left a gate slightly open and it stops by and kills one chicken.
Now I catch the dog and the family shows up with kids in tow desperately looking for the child's beloved pet fido would I go ahead and splatter its brains on my driveway?
No probably not.
As hardcore as I am I think every situation has to be evaluated.
Anyways thanks for the laugh and making me take a look at myself for a moment.

Funny post.
I for one don't have to give anyone the finger over my hundreds of birds because I'm purposely out in the country where they're not restricted.
As far as the dog attacks vs hen attacks or hens being a threat I don't get it. Do you or anyone really believe chicken numbers are restricted because of their viciousness? Or the risk of injury to someone? Sounds silly to me that someone would come to that conclusion.
Now as far as putting a dog down for killing one's birds. Don't get me wrong I've put down more dogs then my share for killing my birds and or harassing/killing livestock.
But do I think every time it happens or every situation it should have to be put down? No probably not.
Like said I have no issue and next to no tolerance for it but say a neighbors family pet escapes because someone left a gate slightly open and it stops by and kills one chicken.
Now I catch the dog and the family shows up with kids in tow desperately looking for the child's beloved pet fido would I go ahead and splatter its brains on my driveway?
No probably not.
As hardcore as I am I think every situation has to be evaluated.
Anyways thanks for the laugh and making me take a look at myself for a moment.

No, I don’t believe someone’s dog should be killed for being a dog but there needs to be accountability. My neighbors who just moved in let their 2 very massive dogs roam their yard, no leash, no chord, no fence. They’re playing a dangerous game knowing I have chickens just across the way as well as two young children who are frequently outside. These people don’t learn until their dog has already done something then point the finger at the other person for “tempting” their dog to attack. My hens are in the confides of a pen while their dogs are allowed to freely roam. I’ve also found three dogs roaming my property and would not hesitate to beat them with a stick for threatening MY pets. Their lack of control of their animals doesn’t mean my animals deserve to lose their lives. Either you can control your animals or you don’t have them. Period. I have zero tolerance for irresponsible dog and animals owners.

I think a fine for dogs at large, and paying for the damage done and chickens killed is in order. MAN I have dogs and my puppy loves to chase my birds, I wouldn't kill her for instinct... if she got out of the run it was human err. People are STUPID about their dogs, Id rather have a neighbor with chickens, but its also why I moved out of the city limits. Id rather live next door to 3 roosters than someone with three little yappy dogs that people think are so cute to bark nonstop at everything. (not trying to offend, but make them be quiet) Lets limit barking dogs and free roaming cats. Unleash the Chickens

Back
Top Bottom