I have a Broody White Leghorn, what the heck?

babylotzahenz

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 30, 2010
lexington
I was just bragging, YESTERDAY, that my University bred White Leghorn lays an egg every single day since she started laying. She is a very busy hen, a bit flighty and she roosts in the loft of the hen house, jumps the fence everyday and does her own thing. She is the only white egg layer on our farm. And, tonight, she is setting on a nest full of eggs and did the broody thing when I went to gather the eggs from under her, even pecking at me. I am going to let her keep these eggs, just to see if she will make it even a week. Has anyone ever seen a mother Leghorn or is the influence of all the broody BCM's just too much for her? This is a true production hen, not even a hatchery hen. She was part of a college project. I know she has laid an egg every single day starting last fall when she came of age, that's a lot of eggs. She deserves a rest and she has great feathers, nothing ragedy about this hen, unlike the poor ole RIR's who also lay almost daily but it has taken a toll on them.

I had a broody leghorn once. She was a very protective mommy. Hatched 1 Silkie Chick. We named him BonBon
smile.png

Hector,

I also grew up in Utah and when I was a kid, we had a broody pearl white leghorn that hatched out 6 or 7 chicks and she was a very good mama... only leghorn I ever saw go broody.

I was stunned. I looked her over, then tried to see if a new chicken had arrived, nope, it was she, the wild Leghorn, all fluffed up like a little cochin, growling at me, even pecking. Usually she runs away fast, but I had noticed her mellowing out a bit this past week. I think she will be the busiest, maybe meanest mother on the farm. I just may give her a whole batch of Silkies myself, see how she does. They are due out in a few days. Wonder if she'd notice her super sonic fast brooding? I sure wish I had some dark brown egg layers as proficient as she is. She is a perfect chicken, except I prefer brown eggs, silly me. And I just love great big, dumpy, fluffy birds.

In the breeding of production hens, the broodines trait has intentionally been bred out, but it doesn't work totally.

I have had a very broody ISA Brown, and they are also never meant to go broody.

Back
Top Bottom