1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

I have a chance to buy something....What would you do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mommi3130, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Mommi3130

Mommi3130 Songster

Jun 4, 2009
    Michigan
    Hi all,
    I have a chance to get a breeding trio of Welsummers, I think they are very nice birds and love the color of the eggs. But are they a good layer? Are they a calm bird? Is it a good breed? Please tell me what you think. Thanks!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi Mommi-

Welsummers are on the larger side--Males being around 7 lbs and females are around 6 lbs. They are good layers (not excellent, but good), and they are pretty gentle and not a real loud breed. They also can go broody.

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I love my welsummers. Gentle bird, relatively quiet, beautiful eggs. I keep a separate flock of just welsummers.

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Songster

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I just bought a trio of Welsummers a few weeks ago and I couldn't be happier with them! The Roos are some of the most beautiful of all breeds and he is very protective of his girls without being aggressive with toward humans. I also love the dark colored eggs. Don't expect them to lay like RIR or Rocks but they still lay pretty regularly. I get about 4 eggs per week from each hen.

Hope you decide to purchase them. I believe within a few weeks, you will be saving up eggs for the incubator! Welsummers and Marans are addictive~

James
    Ringgold GA

5. NYRIR

NYRIR Songster

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I absolutely LOVE my little welsummer! She is too darn cute! I want more already! Here she is..
    [​IMG]

I say yes... [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging Staff Member Premium Member 9 Years

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Love my wellies! My rooster is so sweet and protective of his ladies. He sees the hawks before I do!

The girls just started laying in April. For the month of May, I got 23 eggs from 1 and 26 from the other. In June, I got 26 from each of them. Their eggs are already as large as some of my 1 1/2 year old hens.

7. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    [​IMG] I have a young hen, given to me by a nice lady on BYC, she is my favorite. She is quiet and gentle, comes and talks to me and sits in my lap. I really like this breed, if your situation is good for a breeding trio, I would recommend Welsummers [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: