I have a chance to buy something....What would you do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mommi3130, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Mommi3130

Mommi3130 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Michigan
    Hi all,
    I have a chance to get a breeding trio of Welsummers, I think they are very nice birds and love the color of the eggs. But are they a good layer? Are they a calm bird? Is it a good breed? Please tell me what you think. Thanks!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi Mommi-

Welsummers are on the larger side--Males being around 7 lbs and females are around 6 lbs. They are good layers (not excellent, but good), and they are pretty gentle and not a real loud breed. They also can go broody.

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I love my welsummers. Gentle bird, relatively quiet, beautiful eggs. I keep a separate flock of just welsummers.

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I just bought a trio of Welsummers a few weeks ago and I couldn't be happier with them! The Roos are some of the most beautiful of all breeds and he is very protective of his girls without being aggressive with toward humans. I also love the dark colored eggs. Don't expect them to lay like RIR or Rocks but they still lay pretty regularly. I get about 4 eggs per week from each hen.

Hope you decide to purchase them. I believe within a few weeks, you will be saving up eggs for the incubator! Welsummers and Marans are addictive~

James
    Ringgold GA

5. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I absolutely LOVE my little welsummer! She is too darn cute! I want more already! Here she is..
    [​IMG]

I say yes... [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Love my wellies! My rooster is so sweet and protective of his ladies. He sees the hawks before I do!

The girls just started laying in April. For the month of May, I got 23 eggs from 1 and 26 from the other. In June, I got 26 from each of them. Their eggs are already as large as some of my 1 1/2 year old hens.

7. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    [​IMG] I have a young hen, given to me by a nice lady on BYC, she is my favorite. She is quiet and gentle, comes and talks to me and sits in my lap. I really like this breed, if your situation is good for a breeding trio, I would recommend Welsummers [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by