I Have A Ducklings!! Update **pics** Getting big

Hi everyone! I just joined the site and thought I'd introduce myself. I live in South Dakota and have been a "farmer" for a little over a year now. The first year we tried a little bit of everything to see what we would like to concentrate on and poultry quickly became my favorite thing ever! I don't know how I lived without my feathered friends all these years!

Currently my family consists of 6 kids, a husband, 2 cows (molly, daisy), 1 jersey bull (norman), 2 goats (cocoa, cookie), 4 sheep (spots, mr. attitude, delilah, snowflake), two momma pigs (hammy, penelope), 20 piglets, 45 cornish cross meatbirds, 20 layers (buffies, astrolorps, barred rocks), 3 roosters, 4 Pekin ducks and Waddles who is a Canadian goose that fell out of the sky as a baby and we thought was a duck.

My kids started 4-H and we are gonna start raising various breeds of chickens and ducks come Spring. I can't wait!!

I absolutely LOVED watching the ducklings hatch and would love to hear more about everyone and their feathered family!

Brenda
smile.png

Quote:
Aww Brenda first off
welcome-byc.gif
to BYC. this is a great place with alot of wonderful people with a whole lot of knowledge with all kinds of animals.

My mom's name is Brenda and I am Lisa.

What state do you live in?

Hi Lisa! I live in Southeastern South Dakota. I live on an unbelievably awesome 16 acre farm that has felt like home since the day I set foot on it. For years I have wanted to find an old place with history that I could breathe life back into and I found it last year! Every day is a new adventure and I have found that I LOVE chickens and ducks! they are amazing! I love listening to them and watching them. I am so happy I found this forum!

Where abouts do you live? Do you live on a farm?

Brenda

Quote:
Have you ever PM before. That way we don't crowd the post about other stuff than the ducklings hatching. We don't want to take the glory away from those beautiful little guys and girls.

I will send you a PM after I fix dinner and eat.

Lisa

Quote:
Yes you can..but not just yet. The boys have an Orangish/Green bill and the girls have a black bill. It is more prominent when they are a month old or so. When they reach maturity the boys will also have the "sex feather". You will also be able to tell when they start to feather out. The girls are a real soft buff color, and the boys will be darker.

It may be safe to assume that the ones that have a darker bill now will be girls..hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom