I Have A Ducklings!! Update **pics** Getting big

Damummis

Chickenista
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Mid-Coast
The last few nights have been very cold. Teens. My broody who sat on a few eggs while waiting for fertile eggs just gave up. I ran to feed store, picked up a little giant incubator, got it going and after a few hours of keeping Helga hostage on her nest I let her out. Eggs are now in incubator. She has no interest at all. So here goes nothing. My first incubator hatch.

Last edited:
What a way to dive into incubating!

Good luck!
fl.gif

I fond italways happens like that with broodies. When you dont want them broody they go broody and when you want them broody they dont even entertain the thought!
barnie.gif

I'm so afraid of this! I bought two bantam cochins planning to use them to brood my (hatchery, nonbroody) hen's eggs. But, then I go and look at the hatching eggs for sale and............I get the itch. The itch to buy some. Well, a lot, really. I know in theory I could buy some and put them under one of the girls when they go broody, but I'm afraid I'd "lose" the broodiness along the way, by bad timing or whatnot. I guess I'll let them hatch out a batch or two of my *free* eggs before I go investing in some nicer eggs. But, I'm looking esp at Bargains eggs, and I want!

'K, enough about me.......good luck on your first incubating! I'm afeared I may be not far behind you........
tongue.png

Good luck with it, I think you might find out quickly that it is addicting! If you have questions about incubating just ask away we are more than happy to help!

You will find it is addicting for sure..
jumpy.gif

I ordered day-old chicks for spring delivery.. THEN I thought.. hummm I have an incubator that I have used in my classroom each year to hatch some quail for the students to see.. hummm I do believe that it will hold chicken eggs.. let me check.. YES.. it does hold chicken eggs.. So DH and I lovingly saved eggs from our three laying hens for a few days.. count was nine. "Let's get started" I say. So away we go with our 9 Buff Orpington eggs. The next morning, DH comes in with 2 more eggs and a look - "Can we add these too" he says..
clap.gif
SURE. Now we are up to 11.

THEN I find the auctions!
love.gif
I could not resist Blue Orpingtons from Rockinpaints, and Blue Laced Wyndottes from Chickenlady81.. then I started counting.. would they all fit??? Both batches arrived the same day, so I lovingly unwrapped each one (not a broken egg in either box) and although THRILLED with the bonus eggs.. was worried that I would have to throw out an egg. We put them in the incubator and had EXACTLY enough space for every single egg. Now we are just waiting.
caf.gif

I tell our story to warn you.. that hatching eggs in super addictive. I am already thinking about what other kinds of chicks to get and my first haven't even hatched yet!
ya.gif

Shelly

Today we are suppose to have a huge storm with very high winds. I am trying to put up the protective bubble. Can't risk a power outage right now. These 21 duck eggs and 2 goose eggs need a stinking chance.
fl.gif

We are going into lock down tomorrow.
12 duck eggs and 1 goose developed.

I have one smaller light green egg that has a dark duck in it. I can see it pushed up against the shell. Way cool.

woot.gif

Awwww.... I just hatched out 5 runner ducks in a homemade fishtank incubator, they are absolutely adorable! Never hatched ducks before...they do take foreverrrrrr to hatch out.
Best of luck, I will be looking for pics.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom