I have a few chicks I'm worried about... New chickie mom any help would be great.

CountryQbanGirl1776

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2021
Seffner, Florida
I have 3 chicks in currently feeding with a syringe. One is super weak. It won't raise its feathers barely moves falls asleep when I feed it. Another is a little more active but not interested in eating or drinking much. Another is super small she has her adult feathers on her wings but she's the size of days old chicks. She's also not wanting to eat much. I got a recipe from a lady in NJ that swears by what she feeds the ones who get like that. She does a light green tea, in the save a chick water, and adds a raw egg yolk. I have been feeding them all medicated feed and I bought some corid to add to their drinking water. I've seen improvement in the second 2 but the first one I can feel it's crop i know it's full but it stays weak, no chirping, no trying to get away when I pick it up, content to stay in my hands. I don't know what else to do. We already lost 1 of the first ones I brought home a white ameraucana I believe is what they told me they were. I have been adding a little over 5mls of corid to 5 quarts of water. I also added a few drops to the mixture I made for the lethargic ones. I've moved the bigger thriving ones outside and now have some babies and the weak ones inside. Idk what else to do or if it's just a wait and see game. I feed them every 2 to 4 hours and keep feeding them until they start rejecting the mixture. I don't want to lose anymore of my babies I was heartbroken to lose the first one.

Sounds like at least one possible failure to thrive case (which means there's just something wrong internally that'll cause development issues and eventually kill it).

Do you have Poultry Nutri-Drench? I'd try that instead of the homemade formula, it's formulated to be easily absorbed by chicks and should give them a bit of pep plus some vitamins. Just give a few drops direct dosed with the syringe.

Sounds like at least one possible failure to thrive case (which means there's just something wrong internally that'll cause development issues and eventually kill it).

Do you have Poultry Nutri-Drench? I'd try that instead of the homemade formula, it's formulated to be easily absorbed by chicks and should give them a bit of pep plus some vitamins. Just give a few drops direct dosed with the syringe.
No but I can get it, do u think maybe I should add it to the homemade one?? bc one isn't eating at all. And I need to get something into it's system.

The one not eating at all is about 5 weeks and was doing great but as soon as my white one died it started not eating. It's crop is still full from 1 hour ago that I fed it. He just seems miserable. One of the older bigger ones jumped on it and started pecking at it so I moved the bigger ones outside. I live in Florida so they shouldn't need the heat lamp. God knows it's hot enough here. (and they are between 5 to 7 weeks old)

No but I can get it, do u think maybe I should add it to the homemade one?? bc one isn't eating at all. And I need to get something into it's system.
If they're not eating anything is better than nothing, so if the only way to get nutrition in is to use the egg yolk, then use it. Though my hope is if the Nutri-Drench perks them up a bit, they may try eating a little on their own, which will help strengthen them to continue eating more.

Well the one I was solely feeding with the syringe died last night. He started gasping for air. We tried everything my husband even tried cpr on it. Poor guy he takes it harder than I do and I take it pretty hard. The other one that has a low appetite is eating today. And my little runt that isn't really seem to be growing is eating up a storm. I got her 3 weeks ago and she has her adult feathers on her wings but she's the size of chicks a few days old. The other 2 I got with her are double and triple her size (she reminds me of the quiddich ball). I treated all of the water with corid and I have given them medicated feed since I brought them home. I was planning on continuing to treat the water just in case for the 7 days like I read somewhere online they said it's not harmful and better safe than sorry. Watching these 2 die has broken my heart. Now I'm wondering if they had brooder pneumonia or something else bc 1 was a different breed and 2 are the same breed but all came from either Tractor Supply or Rural King. I just read somewhere they don't vaccinate them (should I vaccinate them?) I ordered the other chicks I wanted from mypetchicken.com and I have found other hatcheries online that seem more reputable. I'll try some sugar water later today. I really don't want to lose anymore.

So now my little quidditch just died. I had just checked on her she was eating and drinking and running around just fine. Come back 3 hours later she's stretched out stiff and gone. Why is this happening????? I have them all on medicated feed I am doing the 7 day corid treatment. I put 5mls into 5 quarts of water. So barely anything at all. The rest are doing just fine well except for the other one that was weak when I started this post. I've been giving it electrolytes and some sugar in the electrolyte water. It eats a little but of feed here and there yesterday was doing great but today kind of lethargic again. I don't understand what happened to my lil quidditch tho. She was just small. No other issues. She is about 4 to 5 weeks and she has all her adult feathers but she stayed little like a 2 weeker. That was it. Every time I saw her she was face down in the feed eating up a storm. I don't understand!!!!

I'm so sorry you lost your little one. How many days left on the CORID treatment and what are you giving them currently? Maybe someone can give some more advice on next step for your other chick.

Well I did 7 days on corid and I give them medicated feed to be safe. I'm now doing a new round for some new ones that came in. Just to be safe. They are all growing super slow tho. I've had them for a week and they have barely grown. They eat a ton bc their crops get so full they look deformed. They sent me a free surprise chick and he chirps really loud for like a short time 30 seconds to a minute. I pick him up feed him water to see if that helps he drinks a bit. I see him eat. But he literally has 2 big chick feathers on his tiny little wings. That's it. He's still super fluffy and tiny. Idk what to do for him. When he's chirping like that I cup him in my hands and he hides and does like a trill sound 3 times back to back and just cuddles in my hands. I hold him for about 2 minutes then put him back. Someone said roosters grow slower than hens but I can't imagine this much slower. I don't want to lose anymore none are lethargic just normal baby sleepiness. I'm so confused. I never had these issues. I'm going to see if I can enclose a picture of lil roo

Back
Top Bottom