1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have a few questions about quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by joebwe25, Aug 11, 2007.

1. joebwe25

joebwe25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Can you eat quail eggs?
    How do you keep quail from flying away?
    Are they kid friendly?
    I also want info on basic care of quail.
    Thanks for any information,
    Joe

2. frankensusan

frankensusan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Escondido, CA
    Hi Joe,

Yes you can eat quail eggs, I've seen lots of recipes for them. Around here (So Cal.) you can buy them in the grocery store for eating. I've never been sure of if my quail's eggs were fresh so never had the nerve to eat them! They are tiny, about an inch to inch and a half longways (if that makes sense!)

If you look on amazon.com for raising quail, or raising game birds you'll find lots of books about them. Usually they are related to raising them for commercial uses (not as pets) and so they will go over the use of the eggs and the meat.

The only way I've kept mine from leaving is have it live in an aviary, they most certainly will fly. I haven't had the nerve to free range her.

My son loves to look at our (1) quail. But she (the quail) is not friendly at all. She doesn't seem so afraid of us now but she will not be handled unless we corner her and grab her - stressful on her and us. She will walk really close to us though when we are putting food down.

mcmurray hatchery also sells quail books.

I'm not an expert by any means, we adopted our quail from a wildlife rehab facility because she was a domestic quail and therefore they cannot be released in the wild here. She's adorable, quiet, sweet and so much fun to walk. You have to really listen to hear her chattering away in the softest of whispers.

Are you thinking of raising them?

Susan

3. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Hi, I have raised gamebirds for 2 years and here is some basic info....

Common Quail that are kept by most include...
    buttons, cortunix and bobwhite.

Quail housing can be anything from a wire cage up to a full blown aviary. Quail depending on breed should have ruffly half a foot up to six square feet per bird/pair. Any quail can be what is called Colony Bred...which is several females to 1-2 males. Most prefer pair or trio breeding such as bobwhite. And if you try to introduce new quail to your already existing ones this can result in severe fighting and sometimes death.

Quail need to be fed a high protein feed...20%+ and can also be fed treats like bird seed, greens, fruits, etc. And it is very important always to have a good supply of oyster shell and grit availiable to your birds.

Most quail are not sociable by nature. But Cortunix seem to be the friendliest out of all the quail. Bobwhite are wild and buttons are shy. But like chickens every bird is different.

Below is a chart on quail incubation times. Quail should be incubated at 102(still air) or 99.5(forced air). I have found 100 works in either type. Humidity should be 45-55% during incubation and should be increased on hatch day just like chickens. To around 60-75% percent. You can add paper towels to the incubator that you have rinsed under warm water to increase humidity and make sure your water wells are filled in the bator. Try to keep the amount of times you open the bator to few or none. And only remove chicks when they are dry and fluffy. Most of the time you can wait until all or most of the chicks have hatched to do this.

Button...16 days
    Cortunix...16-18 days
    Bobwhite...23-24 days

**Note: not all the chicks will hatch on the exact date. It is best to leave the eggs in the incubator for at least a week after the actual hatch day.**

Brood under a 100-250watt red heat bulb and keep a draft free area...brooder just like chicks. Make sure your waterer is drown proof because being that they are only the size of a quater it is very easy for them to drown. You can do this by either buying a no-drown base for a quart waterer or placing marbles in a regular chick waterer. For the first couple of days use either shelf liner, paper towels, or regular old beach towel for the lining of your brooder and you can switch to pine shavings after the first to second day. NEVER use Cedar shavings as these are poisonous to poultry. Cortunix and button quail mature around 5-6 weeks and start laying around this time. Where as bobwhite usually wont start laying until the year after they hatch.

Good Luck anymore questions please feel free to ask!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  4. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    I'm by far no expert but I do raise Butler B.W's, gambles,valley's, mountain's, blue scale and 4 pair of mearns.
    I think Sam's got ya pretty well covered, for a first time quail raiser I would suggest the Cortunix as this bird is easier than the bobwhite and is more productive, as with any quail do not over crowd as this will lead to feather and toe picking

5. the outdoorsman44

the outdoorsman44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chandler, AZ
    yes you can eat the eggs and you could buy or build a coop

6. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
  7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
  8. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Oh well, it gave me something to type. [​IMG]

9. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Who doesn't love a good bump Robby [​IMG] I'm just wondering who will get dinged for it.

AND....no, that Joe wasn't me.

10. Can you eat quail eggs? Does a one legged duck swim in a circle?
    How do you keep quail from flying away. Put another one on the barbie!
    Are they kid friendly? Most kids LOVE fuzzy little cute critters. "Hey anabel don't twist is neck like that". Ah poor thing.
    Qauil basics. Water, Feed, Shelter and lots of eggs for the incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by