I have a frozen chicken situation!

Javamama

Songster
11 Years
Jun 6, 2008
USA
This is strange and I am not really sure where it belongs but I'll try here.
Long story short, I ended up with about forty frozen free range chickens from a local guy. They are a couple years old and have been in the deep freeze in ziplock bags. They don't have any freezer burn, but do have a few ice chunks in the bags. I think I want to repackage them better and don't know what to do. I only have a small Foodsaver so that won't work. I could probably look around at resale shops if I need to get a big one. But will they even fit in a regular size vacuum bag? Does that new Reynold's Handi-Vac thing work? I don't want to spend a ton of money to repackage them but the price of this and the bags would be acceptable. Is there any other solution?
The guy said they have been eating them and they taste fine for slow cooking and stewing, but I am thawing one to try for myself to be sure.
How long is a chicken good for if it's been kept frozen?

I have a handi vac and the largest bags I have seen is 1 gallon. There is definitely a trick to using it you have to have enough space in the bag to be able to have the 2 layers of bag firmly on a surface when you start to vac. I have noticed that freezing after vacing is best tried it on my yeast put would get air back in within a few days unless in the freezer so I would take out of freezer get a jar worth out and then reseal and freeze ( I buy yeast in 2 lb packages so much cheaper ).

Most guidelines for the safe storage of frozen chicken state...

Uncooked whole poultry: 12 months
Uncooked poultry parts: 9 months
Cooked poultry: 4 months

While it may still be safe to eat, flavour & texture will GREATLY diminished.

To each his own, but I would NEVER eat 2 year old frozen ANYTHING.

Back
Top Bottom