I have a hen named Gypsy that went missing 5 days ago.

I have an Aussie Shepherd...while I love him, and he is energetic and playful and sweet, he is no fierce flock protector! He is either A) indifferent to the flock, B) throws his tennis ball at them and barks, tips his ears up, and fully expects them to throw the ball, worst, C) he suddenly sees red and chases them!

I have now lost 3 chickens...1 was a RI Red who vanished mysteriously, like your Gypsy- no fuss, no feathers, just never came home to roost (it's been 2 months now) 2 bantams, both to hawks.

After not being able to convince my hubby that we needed a Great Pyrenees, I decided to get a rooster. So far, that has been a good solution. He keeps the flock together, there is no more "hen pecking" going on, and the newer girls have been accepted.

If you are seriously thinking about a dog, do a little research in the Great Pyrenees- they are breed to be livestock guardians. There are some rescue sites available as well!

And I'm very sorry about Gypsy. We love our girls, too!

I have a friend who raises kengal dogs, they are awesome guardians, but not for the inexperienced dog owner. They are smarter than some people I know and will absolutely turn into a menace without proper training and socializing.

I personally own two aussie/german shepherd mixes, I live in town, but they still take their guard dog job very seriously :) my male even chases birds out of the yard, but let's the chickens literally stand on him when he's just sitting with them :) I think with early training you can use just about any breed to guard, obviously some are going to be easier than others, so it'll just depend on your experience and comfort level.

Back
Top Bottom