I have a hen named Gypsy that went missing 5 days ago.

Sean-ola

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 28, 2014
central oklahoma
I really don't know what her breed is but she's about 7 months old. My girls raised her and the rooster from being chicks up to this point. She disappeared about 5 days ago. I've search far and wide. At this point, I may start going door to door and asking neighbors if they've seen anything. She did this once before and showed up on the 4th day but now it's colder outside.

I'm including a picture of her. For some reason, she looks darker in the picture than she does when you see her in person. Probably due to me using my cell phone. She's a powder grey color mostly.

Does anyone have any idea what her breed might be? I'm curious, as this may give me some idea of how winter hardy she is and maybe she has actually survived. It's been in the 20's for the lows during the last 3 days which isn't great for the situation.

The Rooster had been mounting her a few times in the last few weeks. I'm hoping she just went broody and will come home soon. I've checked every square inch of the property and surrounding area. Her and the rooster rarely get more than 10 feet from each other which causes me to think the worst.

There's no signs of a predator having struck her (no feathers or obviously no carcus). She went missing in broad daylight. I'm in Oklahoma and we have some red-tailed hawks. I'm an avid hunter and know what they look like. I've not seen any present in my area. We are in a smaller town.

I'm assuming if she doesn't return within the next 14 days, I can count her as gone/dead. :/

Any thoughts/advice on the situation?

thanks ahead of time.

Well seems we have a lot in common, I lost a hen on Christmas Day same as yours, in the daytime, I live in south east Ok. By Lake Texoma . Mine was a RIR 1 1/2 yo hen named Boots, and like yours not even a feather anywhere ! I let my flock free range and she just didn't come home to roost that night. I did canvass the area by me, to no avail. We have Hawks, owls, coons, possums, feral cats, etc. My coop is strong and I have hot wires (2 -top and bottom of outside fence ).I just think nature is cruel sometimes and you can't fight Mother Nature and win. Good luck with your search

any luck 1chickendog142???

I don't have any better pictures of her. She hasn't returned but thanks to your suggestion that she might be a blue orpington, I've figured it out. She is. I looked up several pictures of that breed of hen and that is absolutely my girl.

I got her and the rooster at a local flea market as chicks.

Evidently, that breed is very prone to broodiness and very winter hardy. So I read at least. I don't know how she is fairing out in the elements but I'm crossing my fingers that she returns soon.

Last edited:
any luck 1chickendog142???

I don't have any better pictures of her. She hasn't returned but thanks to your suggestion that she might be a blue orpington, I've figured it out. She is. I looked up several pictures of that breed of hen and that is absolutely my girl.

I got her and the rooster at a local flea market as chicks.

Evidently, that breed is very prone to broodiness and very winter hardy. So I read at least. I don't know how she is fairing out in the elements but I'm crossing my fingers that she returns soon.
I hope she returns soon for you too...and likely she'll return with a string of chicks in about 23 days from when she went missing (21 to hatch, a couple to get them mobile...here's hoping). If she is brooding, she will not want any attention from the rooster, so may have shoo'ed him away.

Otherwise, cats and coyotes are known for hauling a whole bird away with little trace (to feed their young).

Lady of McCamley

Thanks Sean Ola for your concern, but no luck here on my end. I saw a very large Hawk (Red tailed) I think, it was up high gliding in the high winds yesterday. Way to high to get a really good eye view of the bird. Several buzzards seem to be circling also. If I figure out what happened to Boots it will surprise me ! I've spent the last 6 months training my flock to free range in my area together, never clipped their wings so they could fly if needed, placed hide' holes to hide under if need be, and never left them out if I wasn't home. Some would call this collateral damage, I think it sucks. I love my chickens and treat them very well and hate to lose any of them. In my 2 1/2 years of being a chicken keeper I have lost 2 hens now. I won't change the way I'm dealing with my hens because they enjoy free ranging too much,and I get way better tasting and lots more eggs this way. I may get rid of Rooster Cogburn my Roo if he doesn't start taking better care of my girls for me ! I do hope your Gypsy comes home to you, good luck

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm considering getting an Australian shepherd dog to help limit how far off they free range and discourage predators. Or perhaps a kangal breed. Any thoughts on the effectiveness of this.

I have two dogs, a Siberian husky 1 1/2 yo F & a 6 mo. F American Bulldog - believe it or not the Husky ( which has the worst reputation around small animals ) , happens to be my chicken dog and takes her job very seriously, she also guards our rabbits as well, alerts when anything is wrong. A good dog is priceless if you can let loose to roam with your animals, I can't because of a roadway too close to where I live. I have 2 acres but heavy traffic blacktop about a block away from home and coop is behind that. This 50 lbs Husky can run like a bullet. Too close , too road , too live free for her. Good luck picking out your farm dog. Training one is quite a chore, but the rewards are endless

Back
Top Bottom