I have a hen with a broken beak and bleeding rump!

Greenie

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Renton, WA
I don't know what is happening here. I am a new (2 weeks) chicken keeper.
I have only 2 hens in a nice new tractor with 20 feet of bare ground and a cozy inside area. I noticed last week that my one hen had bare spots on her rump. I was a little panicked, then I read about molting. Today, I was alarmed to see that she also has blood on that bare area, and that her top part of her beak is much shorter! I'm not sure if the two are related. The injured hen seems to be dominant over the other one, so I don't think it's fighting. Any ideas on how to treat both symptoms? Will the beak grow back? She still seems able to eat and has lots of energy. There have been a few eggs, but I don't know which hen is laying or both?

There are a lot of racoons in my hood. I don't think that's it, though. The fencing is heavy and has smaller holes than chicken wire. (not sure what it's called). It would be a difficult part of the body for an another animal to get to (on the back just above the tail), and would also seem like quite a coincidence that the animal would attack the same spot on the chicken. It's a puzzle to me. I'll ask my neighbor tomorrow. I just found out he grew up on a farm with a lot of chickens. Thanks for your reply, Ed.

Chickens are known to peck at each other when they have an open spot. Your other chicken could have seen it and started pecking at her until she bled. They will keep doing that sometimes unless you seperate them. Keep a close eye, they are canibals and any open sore they will keep going after. Maybe the shorter beak was her trying to fend off the other hen when she was pecking.

That sounds like a predator tried to get at her. A raccoon can reach through an opening of 1 inch and claw at their prey and even pull parts through the fence to eat.

Hi Greenie,
It could be moulting, but if it looks raw try to keep it clean.
I've heard of people using blu kote, but have never used it. The directions say to not eat a chicken that has been given this product. You should be able to get it local.

I'm not sure about the beak I know some pullets are debeaked, but if it is not a clean cut like yours may be make sure she is not in any pain.

I wish I could be more help I'm also new at chicken raising.
Good luck,
Ed
A picture would help if you have one.
http://www.mypetchicken.com/Health_and_Sanitation-Blu_Kote_Wound_Dressing__5_oz-P349.aspx

Last edited:
After having some more time to observe the hens today, I found that the other chicken is indeed the culprit. I will try the Blu Cote for raw skin...good to know about the not eating them thing. I don't think I would eat these hens anyway, though--I don't think they had a very organic first 11 months of life. As far as her beak goes, I don't think she is bothered by it. She still pecks at things with vigor and is able to eat just fine. I almost wonder if her beak was trimmed before I got her, and I just didn't notice until now....although that's hard to believe because it just doesn't look like a chicken beak without the hook.

Back
Top Bottom