I have a important question! Help?!?!

hollymh

*A Scrambled Egg*
15 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Texas
I incubated and hatched some chicks, well two of them were born last week and one of them was born last night(staggerd hatch)... Well one of the week olds looks fine and is eating and drinking, but it looks like it has diarreah, granted I don't know what chicken poop should look like so that is one concern. And the day old has a bloody rear, he had a hard time getting out of the shell and he pooped once out, but now his rear is chaffed and bloody.. So anyone who knows what it might be please answer. Thanks!

separate the chick..you can use a divider in the brooder.
the others will peck him..
might have been what happened..
are they all in together?

what all are you feeding?
giving vitamins or sugar?
any feed that could have spilled and got wet? (it can go sour under the heat light)
what color is the diarrhea?
do you have any cocci med on hand?

Last edited:
recommend taking some vaseline and massaging it around the hiney. This will keep it cleared for when he poos again and prevent stickybutt. That tends to try and build up til the baby can't go. Be sure to feed chick starter with a coxoid additive just in case it has coccidiosis. Also it is important to keep a pristene clean incubator. I am guessing there may have been a bacterii present from the first hatchlings and when the second hatchling was born he contracted some infection.

The "incubator," provides an ideal place for bacterii and viruses to run rampant. This is why I use Oxine-infused water in my incubator wells. It is a great safety precaution to the possibilities of this type of infection. In any case, probiotic supplement should help the little tyke with his own defenses until you can get a handle on treating him for any possible bacterial infections. (Especially when you have chicks hatching at different times. It only takes hours for the bactia to start to multiply in that nice, warm environment)

Last edited:
Quote:
what all are you feeding? Med. chick mash

giving vitamins or sugar? nope

any feed that could have spilled and got wet? (it can go sour under the heat light) Yes, I woke up this morning to it and I cleaned it out asap

what color is the diarrhea? some clear,dark green and some tinged brown

do you have any cocci med on hand?no, but I'm going to the feed store tommrow,what should I get?

They werent together when I noticed the one day olds butt so I know he didnt get pecked.

I put about 1 dropper or (1/8 tsp) of oxine into a pint of water and use this to fill the wells. The moisture in the air inside the incubator then contains the oxine which has dissipated there. Oxine is hundreds of times more effective at tackling bacteria than Chlorine and it's very safe to use. Sorry, sorry--it's about 1/8 tsp.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom