I have a new rescue flock!

PrincessLea2

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 18, 2014
Pacific Northwest
Hi everybody!

Years ago I lived in the country and was a guest/lurker here with about four chickens and one rooster. As first timers, we learned what not to do, lost some to various causes including dogs and health, got a couple more, then had to find them a new forever home as we began our journey of moving from house to house to house and then across the state...
We lived in 6 houses in two years and that wasn't conducive to keeping happy chickens.

Despite all that, we had never lost our love of chickens!

Now here we are, stable and sturdy, and thinking about re-starting a little flock. But later, of course... Until, our neighbor's barn burned down last weekend. She had 14 chickens and two turkeys that needed rescuing.
So...
We are now the proud owners of 1 Polish rooster and his polish hen (she has singed feathers), 2 leghorns, 2 barred rocks, and 2 Rhode island reds. All of them are yearlings and we got our first egg in the back of the truck during their relocation.

We erected an emergency coop for them that still needs lots of fine tuning. I will be visiting here often from now on to get all the info I can! They are all healthy, and I want to keep them that way! :)

Good luck with your new chickens! Barred rocks are my favorite breed! :welcome

Welcome BYC! Glad you finally joined :)

Thats so cool that you got to rescue some. A few weeks ago i rescued 9 chickens and 2 ducks from a coop so full of poop and eggs, that they themselves were covered in poop. They also had no water and only a few veggie scraps as food. :( 2 chickens died but the rest are happy and healthy being able to run around and be chickens!!

Feel free to ask as many questions as you want...the people here are really helpful :)

Good luck with your new flock!!!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry about your losses, but glad you were able to rescue the new birds. Congratulations on getting that first egg? That's so exciting. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry for your earlier losses. Congrats on your rescue birds! Feel free to ask any questions you have along the way. This is the place to be for all the fun and learning!

Welcome to our flock!

Wow! What a way to get a flock. Sorry about your neighbor's barn. Watch the flock closely for respiratory issues. Usually birds of any type don't do well when exposed to heated air.

Back
Top Bottom