I have a new rescue flock!

Wow! What a way to get a flock. Sorry about your neighbor's barn. Watch the flock closely for respiratory issues. Usually birds of any type don't do well when exposed to heated air.

I didn't even think of respiratory issues... They do not seem to be laboring, or gasping etc. But I will make sure to watch in the morning! The only one that was trapped inside was our Polish with the singed feathers. I've never had a polish before, and so far her and her roo are my favs! I would be bummed if she goes to chicken heaven. She's pretty calm, could that be mistaken for listlessness? Is there anything else I should watch for???
We've been keeping them inside the coop for now, so that they have a calm, quiet environment and also to 're-program' them to their new home.

you just have to let them in and out of the door to their new home and they should make a temporary home-station in the coop. That should give you enough time to make the fine tunes necessary. Hope it works!

I also have had a respiratory problem in one of my black links. I just got four new ones and one of them has it I think. If they start sneezing then try and isolate it and watch it for any symptoms. If it has it then you can go to a vet and it usually turns out fine.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Sorry to hear to hear about your neighbour's misfortune, but very glad to hear the chickens escaped unharmed! I heard a little ACV in their drink water helps chickens with stress. I can't vouch for it, but I know from using it myself with my flock that it is good for them over all, so worth a try. The ratio I use is 4-5 tablespoons to a gallon water, but make sure you use a plastic waterer, as it can corrode metal. Good luck with the unexpected new flock!

How long should I leave them in their new coop? The neighbor suggested about 2 weeks, but that seems a bit excessive to me. They've been locked up for almost a week now, I'm getting impatient. LOL! Should'nt a week in their coop be sufficient for their adjustment? I guess my concern is boredom, and that they will start pecking each other - we do not have a run, so they've been in their small coop with no exposure to their new yard...

Back
Top Bottom