I have a pigeon that's throwing up

Thiccen

Chirping
Jul 9, 2019
Hi I have a pigeon that's been sitting fluffy all day looking generally unwell and I just noticed her throwing up not regular pigeon throw up though it looks more like poop with seeds in it it's not a vibrant green and that's all I can find on pigeon diseases that make them throw up... I don't have enough to take her to a vet or really an avian vet in my area if anyone has any idea about what's going on with her it'd be greatly appreciated in the mean time I'm going to keep her away from my other birds and give her some tlc😢😢

Attachments

• Snapchat-1333287508.jpg
    Snapchat-1333287508.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 34
Sounds like she got poisoned, did she eat some rat poison or something? Is it sour? A crop infection or what passes for their crop?
Try to keep water in her or she'll dehydrate. You may have to force feed or if she's getting very weak, put her down, im sorry to hear this.

Aaron

Sounds like she got poisoned, did she eat some rat poison or something? Is it sour? A crop infection or what passes for their crop?
Try to keep water in her or she'll dehydrate. You may have to force feed or if she's getting very weak, put her down, im sorry to hear this.

Aaron
It doesn't really have a smell and I can't imagine she ate anything poisonous she's picky about her food and refuses anything but seed there's no access to anything poisonous like that in my room except for inedible stuff like paper towels which I doubt she ate I caught it pretty early on so she's still pretty strong yesterday she was acting fine.. I hope it's not as bad as it seems but I know they don't throw up unless it's serious.. if it gets to a point where she's suffering I have no choice but to put her down but I hope it passes😢

My rottentoo for no reason at time will get the the flying $%ts, drinks a bunch of water and a day later it's gone. We say no reason, but there is one of course, we just don't see it. Just keep an eye on her, make sure she has plenty of water, maybe put some vitamins in the water if she's not keeping food down and wait for it to pass.

IS she pooping though? Make sure she don't have a blockage, that'll cause this too. Also, did she EAT her poop? Birds do that more often than you'd like to imagine too, which might be why she's throwing up and it.. looks like poop.

Aaron

My rottentoo for no reason at time will get the the flying $%ts, drinks a bunch of water and a day later it's gone. We say no reason, but there is one of course, we just don't see it. Just keep an eye on her, make sure she has plenty of water, maybe put some vitamins in the water if she's not keeping food down and wait for it to pass.

IS she pooping though? Make sure she don't have a blockage, that'll cause this too. Also, did she EAT her poop? Birds do that more often than you'd like to imagine too, which might be why she's throwing up and it.. looks like poop.

Aaron
Something like this happened not long ago I was suspicious of her throwing up because I found seeds in my sock drawer🤦 it wasn't as... Poopy as it is this time though it was just seeds then after a nice bath and a couple of days flying around with no diaper she was fine Ill have to check her vent tomorrow from what I saw yesterday it was free of poop but I didn't look too hard maybe that's it😭 shes been pooping from what I can tell but she wears a diaper most of the day and I have another pigeon so maybe I've just been seeing his poops.. I just gave her some fresh water and she drank it no problem good thing I caught on before she started refusing food and water😩

How is the other bird behaving? Any health issues? Also when one is sick, although it's probably kind of moot since they share the same space w / each other but do you quarantine the sick one until you figure out what? Just in case. If I remember pidgeons need grit too, is she getting enough for proper digestion?

Aaron

How is the other bird behaving? Any health issues? Also when one is sick, although it's probably kind of moot since they share the same space w / each other but do you quarantine the sick one until you figure out what? Just in case. If I remember pidgeons need grit too, is she getting enough for proper digestion?

Aaron
I havent noticed anything wrong with the other pigeon I also have a rooster in the room so I have quarantined her the best I can in her cage at the very least she's not interacting with them right now their all moulting right now Im fairly positive thats not it but I've got them all on electrolyte water since moultings a bit harsh on them there's also grit in the food I give them but not much I think I'll get them a thing of pure grit and start mixing it in their food more. Thank you for the advice I'll eyeball it for now and give an update on how she's doing. One things certain tho first thing tomorrow she's getting a nice warm bath and a clean cage to ensure no blockage or poop eating on her part😩

Put the grit either on the bottom of the cage or a small dish, let them decide how much they want to eat, and eat it. That way you know for sure it's good. Also, the calcium / shell grit ends to do better too, I don't think you are using the pidgeons as egg layers but still, helping them get nutrients can't be bad.

Aaron

Put the grit either on the bottom of the cage or a small dish, let them decide how much they want to eat, and eat it. That way you know for sure it's good. Also, the calcium / shell grit ends to do better too, I don't think you are using the pidgeons as egg layers but still, helping them get nutrients can't be bad.

Aaron
Ive never actually seen an egg come from mochi so she's probly a boy but she just acts so feminine around Leon I call her a girl 😳 the calcium probly would do them some good I'm going to the feed store and picking up some grit in a bit I have to give her a bath and all that first though 😌 thank you for your help if I didn't talk about it last night I wouldn't have been able to sleep

You are very welcome.
AGAIN, I am NOT a vet, or anyone who is really knowledgeable on this stuff, so please don't take my 'words of wisdom' as the words of god, they most certainly ain't !!!

I owned parakeets, in the past, have a cockatoo, and chickens, and used to rescue lizards, ie bearded dragons, iguanas, water dragons, etc, from bad homes. bla bla..so even though I may talk about what I experienced, does not mean it applies to you.

Some stuff however is common knowledge and basic, we all need to look for. Most people know this but we get SOOO attached to our pets, that when they get sick, we get amnesia !! and forget most of what we know to take care of them !!

When a pet is truly sick, the best thing to do is take them to a vet, to get diagnosed and treated, but until we get them there, here are some words that may help.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom