I have a pip-I think??

Polkadots

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
I have three hybrid hens and when I decided that I wanted to add to them I thought that hatching and raising my chicks was the best way to go. I read and read on the topic and acquired six eggs from the farm, candled on day 10 and all were clear.

A couple of weeks later I found some local pekin bantams on ebay, and the seller said that I could collect, so I set six. To cut a long story short twice my incubator failed on me, the temperature shot right up, candling 48 hours later showed that three of the eggs were dead and one was a bit iffy, so I returned that one. A few days later the same began happening, so my husband very quickly began throwing together bits to make an incubator, as I couldn't get another until the following month and he figured if we could run a steady temperature they were safer in there. We ran it for 24 hours and it all went swimmingly so transferred the eggs, though by this point I was doubtful, how could they survive such temperature climbs?

A few days later and I candled before lockdown, I still had two little wrigglers in there. Yesterday, day 19 I had a few little wobbles from the egg and I was sure I heard some cheeping, but wasn't sure through the glass, and have budgies so assumed it was them. I went to bed at 3am and definitely saw a little wobble before I went upstairs, now, 6 hours later at 9am and I think there's a pip!! A tiny little cross shaped crack with a little flap lifting, around the side about level with the bottom of where the air cell was? I'm sure it is, I just want to double check as it doesn't look like 'the pip' you tend see in the pictures lol

Kind regards, Polkadots

Yeahhhhh!! Thankyou!! The little crack has spread a little now, no hole with a beak like I've seen in pictures, but it's definitely grown!! I'm so excited!!

Back
Top Bottom