I have a predator

If I'm not mistaken Florida is one of the more popular places to hunt bobcat. If you should trap a bobcat you can call your DNR and ask to be sure, but I'm rather certain you're safe.

That said, it's unlikely a bobcat anyway. They're not known for being diggers.

If your chickens are in a predator proof run, why bother to set the trap at all? You are not prepared to dispatch the animal, you sound reluctant to have someone else dispatch the animal. In your position, if it poses no significant threat to your animals, why trap it to begin with? It will learn your run can't be broken into, probably in pretty short order, and move on soon enough. Problem "solved".

And yes, if you lived nearby I would be happy to come dispatch a trapped predator for you, even despite your flippant and combative attitude.
wink.png

Quote:
thanks I am not a native to florida, and because the bobcat is a cat I didn't realize it was legal to hunt them, as you may have gathered I am not a mighty hunter, I didn't mean to be flippant or combatant, and the only reason the bobcat is on my list is we have 1 in the neighborhood, that has gotten a taste of chicken already from someone down the road, and it went right over the electric fence to eat 3 of her girls.
so I am sorry if what I typed came over the wrong way. when typing it is very hard to put a smile into the words, I'll skip the trap and have dh put in movement sensor lights or maybe he can rig up like a movement sensor doorbell so I wake up when something lands in the yard that shouldn't be there.

Quote:
Not so sure about politics (the art of being two faced and getting away with it) but you can be certain there would be no repeat offenders.

Oh and while we are at it don't be so sure your birds can't be taken by a predator.

They always have time on their side and most people always make mistakes. Put those together and your birds have problems.

As always defense in depth, never depend entirely on exclusion.

Quote:
thanks I am not a native to florida, and because the bobcat is a cat I didn't realize it was legal to hunt them, as you may have gathered I am not a mighty hunter, I didn't mean to be flippant or combatant, and the only reason the bobcat is on my list is we have 1 in the neighborhood, that has gotten a taste of chicken already from someone down the road, and it went right over the electric fence to eat 3 of her girls.
so I am sorry if what I typed came over the wrong way. when typing it is very hard to put a smile into the words, I'll skip the trap and have dh put in movement sensor lights or maybe he can rig up like a movement sensor doorbell so I wake up when something lands in the yard that shouldn't be there.

Sounds like you've come up with a good plan. Especially since your coop is safe for your birds. We have potential predators all around us. We live on a farm, surrounded by many acres of fields and sloughs. I don't necessarily advocate killing them on sight (with the exception of coyotes), but if they come in the yard or around our buildings they need to go. I didn't perceive you as flippant and combative. You gave me a smile, actually.

Actually I was amused at the politics suggestion, also. However, in todays politically correct atmosphere, votes would elude me.

I have lived in South FL all my life, until recently and the elimination of all kinds of predators has been a way of life. I`m glad you feel like you have a predator proof pen, but like has already been stated, don`t get cocky and neglegent, as predators are very resourcefull and determined. You certainly can eliminate bobcats or any predator that threatens your flock. I wish you well.........Pop
IMGP0476.jpg

2006-03-10001.jpg

Coon002.jpg

wow pop you could have started a zoo, I went from free ranging my girls to making a large secure run over night (literally) 1 day all seemed safe then I went down the street to speak with the other couple who have chickens, to find out a bobcat has been taking theirs and coincidentally while I was there, a hawk came in for the kill, and then later on in the week I got home to 4 frightened birds hiding under the hedge, my dh was there to witness the hawk attack, the old coop and run was very secure just not large enough to keep them in 24/7 without free ranging, so I decided on a large 100sq ft covered run for 4 chickens and if they are out of it I am outside with them now just like when they were babies, whatever is digging is burying the fencing that runs out from the bottom.
really thankyou all for your advice NO I will not catch and release, but I will look for another way of scaring the beegeesus out of them.

Back
Top Bottom