I have a problem. Brown snake sighted in my yard!!!

Butterscotchbitesfinger

Enabler
5 Years
Nov 2, 2018
NSW Australia
I live in Australia and my dad just told me he saw a baby brown snake in the yard. Which means there is a mother and likely brothers and sisters around somewhere, I have a playful puppy who isn’t snake smart. What should I do?! I also have a horse. And my dogs are out and about during the day. I’m really worried. And I have a horse but I don’t think that he is the issue as much as my pup that will play. If you have any suggestions on how I can protect my pets please tell me!!!

I live in Australia and my dad just told me he saw a baby brown snake in the yard. Which means there is a mother and likely brothers and sisters around somewhere, I have a playful puppy who isn’t snake smart. What should I do?! I also have a horse. And my dogs are out and about during the day. I’m really worried. And I have a horse but I don’t think that he is the issue as much as my pup that will play. If you have any suggestions on how I can protect my pets please tell me!!!
And he also killed the one he saw, not going to put my family and pets at risk for a snake (sorry snake lovers) but this is a very venomous snake that could kill fast.

We have venomous snakes around here too. The only way to protect your pets is to not let them wander around loose. We built a dog run for the dog, high fence, used hardware cloth on any open areas, it's been 6 years and so far no snakes have ever gotten in. As for yourself, stay on paths, walkways, graveled areas an off the grass and weedy patches where snakes might be resting, sunning or hunting.

I too have poisonous snakes..but I'm pretty sure there were snakes crawling about before your dad noticed the one he killed. I don't take any extra precaution with my animals other that taking a hoe to one and killing it if it's in my livestock habitat. I look where I step and keep rodents and other things snakes prey on controlled and make sure their food sources are protected. If the snakes natural food source is not available they will move on to find it.

Another suggestion i saw while googling was if you keep the grass really short that will be less likely to come because it means they are more exposed to birds who are predators to them. Thanks for your responses btw.
I wouldn't depend on that in this scenario. I know we don't have the same snake species here as there but we keep our grass cut and we have often see king snakes or corn snakes. And have seen copperheads going down a dirt driveway with literally zero cover. Learn what kind of habitats they like. Snakes here like to hide under things like if you left a piece of plywood or lumber out we always have to be careful when moving them. One suggestion is don't give them hiding spots like that. Maybe research their favorite habitats and learn how to remove those favorite habitats or avoid them.

If you still want your dog to be able to go out and play, I'd make sure he learns to fear snakes. Have you ever used clicker training? In this scenario, I'd use both actual clicker training, and kind of reverse-clicker training.
Is there something your dog really, really hates? Maybe he hates being sprayed with water, or maybe he hates a certain sound. Honestly, I'd get a shock collar. As mean as it may sound, it's better than him getting bit and dying. To train him I'd get a realistic looking rubber snake (or even better, but a lot harder, find a live non-venomous snake) and every time your pup gets close to the snake, call him to you. If he doesn't immediately turn and come and is continuing to look at the snake, give him a little shock (or spray, whistle, etc.) Then, call him to you again, and when he comes, give him a click on a clicker, or say good, then give him a treat. This way, he learns to fear snakes, but also to listen to and respect you. Hope this helps!

Edit: Sorry, I just saw this was from Oct. I don't know why I keep having older threads pop-up! :barnie How did the snake issue go?

If you still want your dog to be able to go out and play, I'd make sure he learns to fear snakes. Have you ever used clicker training? In this scenario, I'd use both actual clicker training, and kind of reverse-clicker training.
Is there something your dog really, really hates? Maybe he hates being sprayed with water, or maybe he hates a certain sound. Honestly, I'd get a shock collar. As mean as it may sound, it's better than him getting bit and dying. To train him I'd get a realistic looking rubber snake (or even better, but a lot harder, find a live non-venomous snake) and every time your pup gets close to the snake, call him to you. If he doesn't immediately turn and come and is continuing to look at the snake, give him a little shock (or spray, whistle, etc.) Then, call him to you again, and when he comes, give him a click on a clicker, or say good, then give him a treat. This way, he learns to fear snakes, but also to listen to and respect you. Hope this helps!

Edit: Sorry, I just saw this was from Oct. I don't know why I keep having older threads pop-up! :barnie How did the snake issue go?
woopsy I guess that's my fault, I thought it was one of the "most recent posts". I didn't see that date on it wow. O_O

I wouldn't depend on that in this scenario. I know we don't have the same snake species here as there but we keep our grass cut and we have often see king snakes or corn snakes. And have seen copperheads going down a dirt driveway with literally zero cover. Learn what kind of habitats they like. Snakes here like to hide under things like if you left a piece of plywood or lumber out we always have to be careful when moving them. One suggestion is don't give them hiding spots like that. Maybe research their favorite habitats and learn how to remove those favorite habitats or avoid them.
Yeah we haven’t seen anymore and we removed all the junk the guy before us left here

Back
Top Bottom