I have a problem. Brown snake sighted in my yard!!!

If you still want your dog to be able to go out and play, I'd make sure he learns to fear snakes. Have you ever used clicker training? In this scenario, I'd use both actual clicker training, and kind of reverse-clicker training.
Is there something your dog really, really hates? Maybe he hates being sprayed with water, or maybe he hates a certain sound. Honestly, I'd get a shock collar. As mean as it may sound, it's better than him getting bit and dying. To train him I'd get a realistic looking rubber snake (or even better, but a lot harder, find a live non-venomous snake) and every time your pup gets close to the snake, call him to you. If he doesn't immediately turn and come and is continuing to look at the snake, give him a little shock (or spray, whistle, etc.) Then, call him to you again, and when he comes, give him a click on a clicker, or say good, then give him a treat. This way, he learns to fear snakes, but also to listen to and respect you. Hope this helps!

Edit: Sorry, I just saw this was from Oct. I don't know why I keep having older threads pop-up! :barnie How did the snake issue go?
Well there haven’t been anymore.

Back
Top Bottom