I have a problem...

magicpigeon

Songster
9 Years
Oct 9, 2010
I've been there. You can sell them as pets I suppose? Or just give them to someone else to dispatch?

Nonny

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
You mentioned in another thread that you had chicks about 3 months old - are these the ones that you are talking about? If so, you should find the number of layers increases as they come into maturity.

Cetawin

Chicken Beader
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NW Kentucky
I was about to say the same thing...at 3 months old, they should not be laying at all. Expect eggs, depending on the breed, averaging 20-25 weeks but some can start sooner or later than that. Extreme heat (ie temps above 80 consistently) can put them off laying, molting will put them off as will extreme cold. You really need to figure out 1. Are the at laying age. 2) environmental effects on laying and 3) is it a temporary layoff

Chickens take breaks from laying which is good for them, they are not machines and their bodies need the break.

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I think you need to tell us how old these birds are. Until then, can't comment. They aren't machines. All sorts of factors affect their laying. If they aren't old enough, well, there ya go.

The Red Rooster

Poultry Observer
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
Rapid City, South Dakota
I'm talking about my other chickens. I think they might be to old because they are 3 years old. I haven't seen them molt yet. Some of them have never layed when we got them a year ago.

Top Bottom