1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have a problem...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Red Rooster, Aug 26, 2011.

1. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Ok... I have about 20 chickens right now. Only 4 of them lay eggs. I just can't kill them.

Will anyone buy chickens that don't really lay?

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Maybe they are not old enough.

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I've been there. You can sell them as pets I suppose? Or just give them to someone else to dispatch? [​IMG]

4. The Red Rooster

I'll try selling them then. I can't keep them if they don't lay eggs. Thanks!

5. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Are they very old? Have they been under stress? Is there anything you could adjust in their diet? Good luck!

6. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    You mentioned in another thread that you had chicks about 3 months old - are these the ones that you are talking about? If so, you should find the number of layers increases as they come into maturity.

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I was about to say the same thing...at 3 months old, they should not be laying at all. Expect eggs, depending on the breed, averaging 20-25 weeks but some can start sooner or later than that. Extreme heat (ie temps above 80 consistently) can put them off laying, molting will put them off as will extreme cold. You really need to figure out 1. Are the at laying age. 2) environmental effects on laying and 3) is it a temporary layoff

Chickens take breaks from laying which is good for them, they are not machines and their bodies need the break.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think you need to tell us how old these birds are. Until then, can't comment. They aren't machines. All sorts of factors affect their laying. If they aren't old enough, well, there ya go.

9. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    they might be to young to lay

10. The Red Rooster

I'm talking about my other chickens. I think they might be to old because they are 3 years old. I haven't seen them molt yet. Some of them have never layed when we got them a year ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by