I have a question.

I also have 6 Pekin ducklings. They are about 3 weeks old and they are def little poop machines. And talk about water messy! I tried putting the water container on top of a bowl, but it doesn't seem to help much. I have to clean my duck area about every 2 days! I put garbage bags under the pine shavings, makes for an easy clean up. We're hoping to have them outside very soon, I made a temp little outdoor pen for them in the mean time. Seems to tire them out a little too! It's only about 60-70 degrees during the day here in NY so we have a while before they can stay outside over night. And once they do I can't decide if i want them to be free rangers or in a run! I'm afraid to loose any of the little guys.

usmc~ we have 10 ducks, and they have a big dog kennel (wire) with a metal pan floor, that they live in at night.
We clean every other day!
Their new run is almost done, 5' x 25'! they will have a duck house with nesting boxes.
We predatorized it with chicken wire and box wire around an old dog pen of pipe and lightweight chainlink.
We are building a wire/wood roof. They free range during the day.

Our ducklings are currently on our back porch. I covered the entire floor with waterproof tarps, then put straw on top of that. When the straw gets dirty (covered in duck poop) we merely roll up the tarp to take it outside to the compost pile then hose it down, let it dry in the sun, then put it back on the porch and start all over again.

Last edited:
Quote:
We were gonna use a dog kennel, but I was afraid they'd get their little heads stuck in the bars so we used the baby octagon gate instead. The holes were smaller and less likely for little heads to get stuck.
lol.png

Well, the duck run is done! The chicken wire and box wire together make the chainlink really secure! Even the little ducklings cannot get their heads through it.
My hubby thought it was overkill, but after watching a stray dog try to paw at them, he agrees it was the smart thing to do!

The "floor" is bricks tightly laid, and it is SO easy to clean! Spray it down and it drains quickly.
We free range them during the day, and they are so cute at sunset they all gather together and wait for the pen door to open, they all waddle in! They really know it is a safe place to bed down for the night.

Quote:
I am new mother to 2 young Pekin Ducks, as of last Thursday evening (May 26th). Wow, I didn't realize the poop mess they'd be doing either. I have only 2 of them.
I don't have enuf posts to begin putting up pics yet, but will soon enough I hope.
I elimanated night time water, except for their drinking font, which is up on a 4x8x16 block, like you I noticed they do as much walking thru it as they did drinking it. First day I had em I filled the waterer twice within the first hour. I thought "man! I won't be able to keep up with my water bill!" But raising it up off the ground helped alot. I also had a small pan that one fit in and could swim, but they don't have that anymore either, just a baby wading pool, 45", out in the lawn.
Suprisingly they are doing great. I was keeping some small fencing up around them and their pool, but I've taken it down and let them run the fenced yard with two old labs who aren't bothering them at all.
Not sure their exact ages, got them from a lady who got them on Mother's day as a gift. They still have a little yellowish fluff but have alot of feathers. Sure wish I could post pics. My Grandchildren named them Abbey and Bobby but we don't know their sex either...
tongue.png

I have a question...can any of you with Pekins post some pics with close-ups of the tail feathers?? I read recently that one way of sexing my ducks without looking at their privates was at 2 months old the males will have a curl to the tips of their tail feathers, also that the male has a softer call than the females. This has been no help to me at all. My two Pekins sound alike and I would "assume" by the sound they are males because I'm thinking they have a pretty soft call, but then the feather thing, there is no curl to either of them so I'm thinking I have girls. Can anyone advise if this is an accurate way of telling sex?
Ive subscribed to this topic so I should get all replies...thanks in advance.
Scratching my head in wonder in Michigan...
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom