I have a really dumb question....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RayinGa, Apr 19, 2011.

1. RayinGa

RayinGa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    Ok here goes, a little embarrassing but I really don't know. Where does the egg come from is it like any animal that gives birth through the "shall we say" birth canal? Or are the vent and the anus the same thing. I was gonna look but was afraid my neighbors might think I was a little strange. I asked my friend that has been raising chickens for over 20 years and he wasn't sure either. Please overlook the stupidity of this question, but I've always heard "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. Thanks and enjoy the laughs.

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    The vent is the hole that released the poop and the egg. Further up inside it is divided into the repro tract and the digestive tract, but it all comes out the same place in the end.

3. oldiabird

oldiabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Audubon, Iowa
    Quote:YUP, pretty sure one and the same, DO remember there is only one stupid question , the one you don't ask!!! Anyway , welcome to BYC, you'll learn a lot on here, not sure all good, but [​IMG] [​IMG] I'll go now!!!
    Woops, looks like Kim beat me and had a better politically correct answer !!! Sorry!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  4. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    There are no stupid questions here! OK. Well sometimes they are, but no one here will make fun of you. Maybe just snicker a little.

Only one hole on the chicken. All comes out there.

Good link to video that shows where it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGkaEvCEKLg

Other
    videos actually show the egg coming out.

5. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]
    No question is stupid. We are all here to help each other out with our questions. [​IMG]

6. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    Welcome to BYC! I agree- there are no stupid questions. Below is a link to the scientific and fascinating description, illustration, and photos of the egg laying process and why the egg is sterile/clean when laid - it at no time comes in contact with the intestinal tract.

www.afn.org/~poultry/egghen.htm

7. RayinGa

RayinGa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    Thank you all for your understanding, your answers were very helpful.

8. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Do keep in mind that if you find poo on an egg however it probably got there after it was layed, they come out clean!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by