I have a slow growing chick

Hi, I have a buff "cochin" as well, but I suspect she is bantam. The same thing here, I am just concerned that she is not as active as my other birds. I just posted a thread on my page with tons of details and pics. I am also new here and would appreciate any insight. Thanks in advance.

Thank you. I actually didn't realize that the white cochin are considered Bantams. Newbie here:). Thank you so much I feel better knowing she will grow at her own pace. I have added Sav-A-chick to the water.
I used the Sav-A-Chick, I felt it helped my new chicks tremendously the first week, yet I also had a slow growing Black Copper Maran that didn’t have the same markings or conformation, at week 4 I called My Pet Chicken and discussed the situation to see if they thought it might be FTT, they wanted pics, but I didn’t want to take the time that week to try and compare her to the others. As soon as I called, the little chick started growing and now is still smaller at 6 1/2 weeks, but not so worrisome small. The chick was a scrapper, she would jump in on the feed and fight and scrap to get her nutrition amongst the larger chicks. Still not sure she is a BC Maran, but she is doing fine now. I also gave her scrambled egg. In addition, when I used the electrolyte & prebios the water would turn quickly, so check it often, the smell is not pleasant. I spend a lot of time in nature and see that everything loves fresh water & a soft place to lay, fresh water in my opinion is paramount. I hope this helps to not give up, she may take off in a couple weeks, sorry about her sister. One more observation, she was growing some, but at 4 weeks she was less than 1/2 the size of the others, now she is close to 3/4 of their size.

Hi, I have a buff "cochin" as well, but I suspect she is bantam. The same thing here, I am just concerned that she is not as active as my other birds. I just posted a thread on my page with tons of details and pics. I am also new here and would appreciate any insight. Thanks in advance.
Hey There! Being a newbie myself, I'm not sure I have tons of advise. I used NutriDrench for the first few weeks with her and also bought some Vitamin B I put in her food, she likes the crumbles mixed with water better than just the dry crumbles, I think it is more that the other chicks tend to push her out of the way or try to walk on her when she goes to eat. I take her out of the brooder and try to feed her separately once a week or more just to make sure she is getting enough to eat. I would say just keep watching your bantam. Mine is not very active at all either, she will go under the heat plate most of the day, only to come out and eat and drink and occasionally walk around. It is a a learning journey for sure. Best of luck to you. I hope you are enjoying them as much as I am. :) Here are a couple pictures to show you how much smaller she is than my other chicks. She may still have Failure to Thrive but I'm going to do whatever it takes to keep her going.

Attachments

• 20220526_082516.jpg
    20220526_082516.jpg
    946 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220526_082533.jpg
    20220526_082533.jpg
    975.6 KB · Views: 6
Hey There! Being a newbie myself, I'm not sure I have tons of advise. I used NutriDrench for the first few weeks with her and also bought some Vitamin B I put in her food, she likes the crumbles mixed with water better than just the dry crumbles, I think it is more that the other chicks tend to push her out of the way or try to walk on her when she goes to eat. I take her out of the brooder and try to feed her separately once a week or more just to make sure she is getting enough to eat. I would say just keep watching your bantam. Mine is not very active at all either, she will go under the heat plate most of the day, only to come out and eat and drink and occasionally walk around. It is a a learning journey for sure. Best of luck to you. I hope you are enjoying them as much as I am. :) Here are a couple pictures to show you how much smaller she is than my other chicks. She may still have Failure to Thrive but I'm going to do whatever it takes to keep her going.
Hi, I started treating with Corid per someone else's advice on this website. I have already seen mine perk up a bit. Her eyes are more open, she seems to be moving faster and is engaging in new behaviors I haven't seen before. She overall seems more lively. Even without all the symptoms of coccidiosis I would still recommend giving it a shot. For me it was a last ditch effort and so far it seems to be paying off. Best of luck :)

Hi, I started treating with Corid per someone else's advice on this website. I have already seen mine perk up a bit. Her eyes are more open, she seems to be moving faster and is engaging in new behaviors I haven't seen before. She overall seems more lively. Even without all the symptoms of coccidiosis I would still recommend giving it a shot. For me it was a last ditch effort and so far it seems to be paying off. Best of luck :)
So glad to hear that. I will give it a try. :)

Back
Top Bottom