I have a theory

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rgn87, Aug 14, 2010.

1. rgn87

rgn87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Georgia
    My hen Terry has recently started sitting on her nest, but yesterday at around 10 30 am she got off for the whole day, only o return early this morning ( I'm not sure what time). Yesterday it was extremely hot, a heat index of 106. This morning it's only about 78 outside. My theory is this, with the humidity so high, yesterday, it won't matter if Terry didn't sit on the eggs because they are still getting the required warmth. To back up this theory, I would like to add that the nest is built up over the eggs very well, and I assume helps to trap in a lot of heat. Anyone agree or disagree? Does circle get the square?

2. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I'll be interested to see if this works out...it's an interesting theory!

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Well, this particular theory would be fairly simple to test out if you got one of those personal weather stations with the wireless remote sensor and stuck the sensor in the nest. It will tell you the temperature, humidity, and various other readings at set intervals, usually hourly. The better models even now have a USB port and software so you can download the data. Might be an interesting experiment if you wanted to go that far. I guess a simpler, cheaper way would be just stick a thermometer out there and go read it every once in a while while the bird is off the nest.

4. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    I noticed too that my broody duck spent a LOT more time off the nest when it was really hot outside than she did on cooler days. Like she knew it was warm enough that the eggs were okay. OR, because it was too hot and uncomfortable for her on top of those eggs, and she wanted to lounge in the pool instead! [​IMG]

Anyways, even though she spent entire DAYS off the eggs when it was over 90 degrees and humid out, 7 ducklings hatched. It didn't matter that she spent 12 hours or more at a time off the nest. She was probably only actually ON the nest for about 75% of the incubation process. So I think you're right. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2010
  5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I've noticed that wild birds (not just ducks) don't sit on the eggs so much if the temp is hot. Sometimes, they will even stand and shade the eggs if they're ground nesters.

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I think it may be ok. They were insulated so it takes a while for the core temperature and even humidity to go down into dangerous. I would be concerned if she continues not to sit on it, because that can indicate that there is something wrong with the eggs itself.

7. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Those mommas know what they're doing... [​IMG]

8. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Sounds good to me. [​IMG]

9. Snakeman

Snakeman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    My Muscovy spent vast amounts of time off the nest when it was 100+ outside and still hatched 7 out of 9. They know what they are doing.

10. rgn87

rgn87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Georgia
    Thanks for the confidence booster. Now I am getting kinda excited to see if these eggs hatch or not. I think there are about 15 eggs or so, maybe a little less.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by