I have a week old saphire chick that need help

Brownellfamily16

Hatching
May 25, 2022
I have a week old saphire chick that is lethargic and clear liquid for stool, she will take water when given but is not very active. Can someone help

What are you giving the chicks to eat? Including feed and treats.

Are the chicks being given chick grit?

How warm is the brooder beneath the heat source and at the farthest point from it? What is the heat source?

What are the dimensions of your brooder?

How many chicks?
I have 7 chicks together, they are being fed Purina chick start and grow non medicated. Their temp in the container is about 95 and away about 90. I have them in a large clear tote currently. She is the only one with symptoms and just straight water

You didn't mention what type of heat source or the dimensions of your brooder. If it's a heat lamp, it can be much too hot, especially in a very small brooder container where the chicks can't get far enough away from it to shed excess heat. Try raising the lamp so a thermometer reads 80-85F on the floor under it.

Watery poop is a symptom of a chicken suffering from being too hot.

Check the chick's crop. Compare it to the other chicks. If the crop is overfull and hard, it's constipated and needs to be treated for that.

You didn't mention what type of heat source or the dimensions of your brooder. If it's a heat lamp, it can be much too hot, especially in a very small brooder container where the chicks can't get far enough away from it to shed excess heat. Try raising the lamp so a thermometer reads 80-85F on the floor under it.

Watery poop is a symptom of a chicken suffering from being too hot.

Check the chick's crop. Compare it to the other chicks. If the crop is overfull and hard, it's constipated and needs to be treated for that.
Tote says it's 30 by 20 with a heat lamp about a foot and a half above it. I will check her,and raise it thank you. This is the first time ever raising chicks so this is all very new.

Ok thank you. She did have some blockage but we did clear it up, we are trying to make sure she has water regularly. However she is still refusing to eat. We are working slowly with her and she seems a little better

Ok thank you. She did have some blockage but we did clear it up, we are trying to make sure she has water regularly. However she is still refusing to eat. We are working slowly with her and she seems a little better
Try making a mash with crumble and water or giving her egg yolk. A couple drops of Nutridrench daily might help.

Back
Top Bottom