I have a weird looking rooster

Scruffy is a Scruffette. Japanese bantam hens are notorious for inappropriate crowing.
My dad's last bunch would "crow" after getting off their broods.
They're weird, enjoy.:)
I only know the mother was a black tail Japanese bantam. I got him from my aunt who didn't know who the father was. He's about 8 months old or so.

My opinion is that first bird pictured is a pullet. She’s very beautiful as well.
That tail!

Have you tried waving or holding your hand close over her back (as if you’re reaching for her) to see if she’ll squat?

Yes, occasionally a hen or pullet can crow. (I actually have one! Although thank goodness she’s quiet about it because roosters aren’t allowed where I live. )

This is a very nice way of saying she might be a dud lol!
It happens!
She might also be a late bloomer or lacking something she needs.
What do you feed Scrufette if you don't mind me being nosy.:)
It can happen when they are chicks, something fails with egg maker when they are young. Happens more often when young than when they are older

This is a very nice way of saying she might be a dud lol!
It happens!
She might also be a late bloomer or lacking something she needs.
What do you feed Scrufette if you don't mind me being nosy.:)

I feed all my chickens a mix of layer feed and cracked corn. And to answer the other question, no he's never squatted for me

Well if you want to rule out deficiency,
since some cherry pick out corn and don't eat much else discontinue the corn for a little bit and see if she lays. :)
I feed all my chickens a mix of layer feed and cracked corn. And to answer the other question, no he's never squatted for me

Back
Top Bottom