I have a young pullet who is starting to like me.

daddy_roo

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 6, 2011
Kentucky
I figured out yesterday that my hens prefer unsweetened rice crispys over popcorn. I have 6 hens and the youngest one is just starting to lay. We got her first decent egg 3 days ago. I looked at her today and she had a spec of blood on her wing. So I cornered the little running back and caught her and examined her wing. She had somehow lost a feather and it had a small drop of blood come up, So I figure its no big deal. I gave her a thourough look over while I had her caught and after a few seconds realized that I was not holding her at all. And she was soaking up me rubbing her as I examined her. In my coop I have a fold up chair I sit in and watch my chicken tv, and that was where I was sitting when I was examining her earlier. I went to the coop again later and she kept bumping into me and running between my legs and then to that chair. i laughed and didnt figure it would work but I sat down and she walked over to me. I lowered my hand to about 4 inches from the ground and she steped up into my hand and I set her on my leg and started petting her again. It was amazing.

That's the best feeling.
smile.png

It was neat. I got almost forced into taking care of chickens but accually I found that I like it. Nwvwe Figured I would ever get attacked to my "sandwhich meat" but I did

I would love it!! My chickens are friendly but don't like to be held. I babied them so much when they were chicks figuring they would like to be held and pet, but i guess not. I am going to keep working at it but i have to realize that they are not dogs!! By the way, i love chicken TV. I have a little patio out back where me and my family sit and watch them free range. They can be so comical! I don't allow them to free range unless i am there to watch them, so i spend hours at a time watching chicken tv.

MY husband "tolerates" the chickens - at least, he did at first. Now, on days when I work and he's at home, he'll tell me funny things the chickens did during the day. Glad you're enjoying your chickens!

My wife hates them, says that D**n Rooster is gong to be soup one day!!! LOL I tell her probably but before that we need to get another decent rooster. She gives me the stink Eye and goes on about her business. Other days she tells me I like them chickens better than her. But oh well.

That's how you get them really tame. Try it one by one with the others. The same exact thing you did with her. If 1 of mine hasn't been picked up for 3 or 4 days it'll run when I reach down to pick it up. That tells me I need to hold that one *more, not less. 5 seconds on my lap and they don't want down anymore. Funny little creatures.

I love Chicken T.V. too. I find I get my house work done, walk on tred mill and anything else I have to do in the a.m. . I do this so I can sit and watch them all afternoon while they FR. Sure don't look forward to this winter, it will cut down on Chicken T.V. time!

25976_dscn9602.jpg

THANK YOU for sharing! It's good to know another hen out there in the universe seeks attention! I was beginning to wonder, "is it the way I smell?" "how weird am I?" Miss Roaster, sold to us as Americauna, is our good bird friend. She adores coming in to watch some videos on the closest available lap. In the above photo, she's learned to put up with The Back Of The Chair so I can do some internet browsing. She wastes no time if I settle down to sit a spell, just to get some one-to-one.

Here's a vid I took with my cell phone a few weeks ago, look familiar?:

Back
Top Bottom