i have alot of showing questions

love4mychick

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
ok i whent to my local feed store and got 12 white leghorn chicks and i love them to death but i also would like to show them but i dont know anything about the show like what the judges look for or anyof that stuff so please if you guys could tell me everthing you know that would be greatly appreciated
woot.gif

This is what a judge look for. It's called a "Leghorn Sweep":
WhLegP.JPEG

If there is a "jutting up" of the tail, then the bird won't even be considered by an APA recognized judge. If the show is held "just for fun" and is not being judged by an APA judge, you'll have just as much luck as the next competitor.

This hen has a tail that juts up, and I'm assuming she is in a pen with a bunch of pickers from the lack of a longer tail. This bird is called a "production/utility" bird.

ETA (photo)...lol
Copy_of_white_leghorn_hen.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice depiction of the difference between a production/utility bird and a show bird.
cool.png

To add, both the APA and ABA publish standards for every recognised breed. Birds are judged according to those standards for their breed and also to the standard for their variety (colour & pattern).

Chances of getting a bird who will compete well at a show are pretty small if the bird is from a feed store or hatchery--you really need to acquire your birds from a breeder who breeds to the standard.

to get used to showing and the right things and wrong things in pure bred poultry do get a standard
for large fowl, bantams, waterfowl and turkeys go to the American Poultry Assn standard of perfection

If you don't want to pay for color std then go to amozon.com and put in chicken syamdards
apa standard of perfection
if you can get black and white 1965-1980 it is perfect for this purpose and cheaper
also the APA has blk/white stds cheaper also

Welcome to the American Poultry Association Sanctions meets at poultry shows in North America and publishes breed standards. Includes breed classifications, top exhibitors, point standings, ...
www.amerpoultryassn.com/ - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

Welcome to the American Poultry Association Preserve Your Rights as a Poultry Fancier. Below you will find information about the current state of our hobby. Calling this a crisis may be the best way ...
www.amerpoultryassn.com/savehobby.htm - 6k - Cached - Similar pages
More results from www.amerpoultryassn.com »

And for Bantams and Bantam ducks
get the
American Bantam Association stdhttp://www.bantamclub.com American Bantam Association website containing member resources, judges information, and an online store.
www.bantamclub.com/ - 6k - Cached - Similar pages
Breed Club Links
Show Information
Members
Judges Member Links
About The ABA
State Reps
Yearbook Ad Info
More results from bantamclub.com »

About the American Bantam Association Oct 8, 2001 ... American Bantam Association. P.O. Box 127 Augusta, NJ 07822 973-383-8633 ... features news of the Association and timely articles on bantam ...
www.bantamclub.com/about.html - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

American Bantam Association - What does ABA stand for? Acronyms ... What does ABA stand for? Definition of American Bantam Association in the list of acronyms and abbreviations provided by the Free Online Dictionary and ...
acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/American+Bantam+Association - 35k - Cached - Similar pages

life time member of both the ABA and APA

Back
Top Bottom