I have been gone a while but now I am back. From Iowa

Sandyd

Songster
11 Years
Sep 12, 2012
I have had chickens for around 30 years.
I have 50 older hens and 50 new pullets that will start laying hopefully in a few weeks.
My 50 older girls are a mixed breed but my new girls are Australorps
To make things easy on me my husband and sons built me a big chicken house, it is huge from what I was used to working with. I am so tickled with it as it has a big exhaust fan if needed, sliding windows with hardware cloth on all sides but the North, hanging feeders, automatic waters, Big air vents on each top corner to let the heat out,tin on the outside, insulated and tin on the inside. Guess I am talking a lot about it but it is nice. We grind our own feed. No antibiotics. I use diatomacious earth in their tray under their roost to catch the droppings. People come and pick up eggs here at the farm from the shop frig. I take eggs into the local feed store, sell at the farmers market in the summer and have just recently started sourcing my not so pretty eggs to the Local Foods connection.

I retired early. I think I work harder now then when I had a full time job. I have been making handcrafted soaps going on 5 years and started offering to the public the last three years. I have added whipped lotions, lip balms, scrubs and other natural products and have been lucky to have them in a few shops around where I live. When I get time I also like to make copper designs out of wire and copper sheeting.

I have 4 grown boys. 7 grandchildren. My husband still works full time at his job in town and then works full time tending our cows/calves and farms. We are lucky one of the boys built a house by us and comes and helps out all of the time.

I believe I have talked a awful lot.

Welcome back!

It sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy. Your coop sounds terrific, nice to have a good builder in the family.

What part of Iowa are you in? I was born there and still have some relatives scattered around. If you would like to chat with other Iowans, here's a link to your state thread:
Iowa

Thanks for posting!

I have had chickens for around 30 years.
I have 50 older hens and 50 new pullets that will start laying hopefully in a few weeks.
My 50 older girls are a mixed breed but my new girls are Australorps
To make things easy on me my husband and sons built me a big chicken house, it is huge from what I was used to working with. I am so tickled with it as it has a big exhaust fan if needed, sliding windows with hardware cloth on all sides but the North, hanging feeders, automatic waters, Big air vents on each top corner to let the heat out,tin on the outside, insulated and tin on the inside. Guess I am talking a lot about it but it is nice. We grind our own feed. No antibiotics. I use diatomacious earth in their tray under their roost to catch the droppings. People come and pick up eggs here at the farm from the shop frig. I take eggs into the local feed store, sell at the farmers market in the summer and have just recently started sourcing my not so pretty eggs to the Local Foods connection.

I retired early. I think I work harder now then when I had a full time job. I have been making handcrafted soaps going on 5 years and started offering to the public the last three years. I have added whipped lotions, lip balms, scrubs and other natural products and have been lucky to have them in a few shops around where I live. When I get time I also like to make copper designs out of wire and copper sheeting.

I have 4 grown boys. 7 grandchildren. My husband still works full time at his job in town and then works full time tending our cows/calves and farms. We are lucky one of the boys built a house by us and comes and helps out all of the time.

I believe I have talked a awful lot.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens sure glad you joined us here you talk to much, No you don't :gig

Back
Top Bottom