I have been wondering

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lottastuff9, May 26, 2010.

1. lottastuff9

lottastuff9 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    Many people supplement their layers diet with fish meal. I have called the local supply store and they said they don't sell it. Where do all of you buy fishmeal? [​IMG]

2. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:The Menhaden Fishmeal supply is NON-EXISTANT at this time!

The feed industry is scrambling to replace fishmeal in their rations right now. The catch last summer was lower than needed and the oil spill has stopped fishing.

Fortunately there are options out there, but not fishmeal.

Jim

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I've never heard of fish meal for chooks...
    I DO give mine fresh caught fish from the river though in the summer.... they scarf it right up!

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Fertrell normally carries it. A lot of people that put together their own feed use the Nutri-balancer, aragonite and the fish meal, along with a selection of grains. They also carry DE. If you find a local retailer or feed mill that buys from Fertrell, they should be able to get any of their products, as long as there isn't a supply problem in the industry. You could also check with Fertrell for a local business that carries their line.

http://www.fertrell.com/poultry.htm

The food quality DE they carry isn't in the poultry section.

http://www.fertrell.com/insectcontrol.htm

5. detali

detali Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Would fish meal from a garden supply store be good?

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I would only give them fish meal that is sold as food quality. Fish meal sold as fertilizer could be rancid, among other things. It will still work fine as fertilizer, where it will just decompose further and then be used by the plants. Food for animals and chickens needs to be in a less decomposed form and still of good quality to be used by their bodies.

7. lottastuff9

lottastuff9 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    The nearest dealer for Fertrell is about 400 miles away...dang it. I really want to supplement the ladies diets with it. Thanks for trying!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by