I have chicks hatching...ALREADY! Questions!

:thumbsup  Oh, I forgot about iodine - I use a dip-cup on my newborn lambs, especially when it's wet and nasty weather...Iodine will, most likely, help dry it out and draw it down faster than neosporin.

I use the iodine as I always have it for my horses seedy toe. I try to buy things that are both useful for the horse and chickens so it's killing two birds with one stone rather than forking out twice for things.

UPDATE:  I gave the little problem chick a bath.  I think he couldn't stand up because of his wing plastered to his body.  He is now doing much better.  Pretty delayed, but is able to stand and not fall backwards now - huge improvement.  I will use the neosporin on his naval!  

On remaining eggs:  One was a confirmed quitter.  The other cream legbar I assisted hatch.  Chirping from inside of egg became non existent and movement was little.  He is alive and warming in the incubator.  I might have waited too long to assist.  But I believe he was just too big to hatch himself.  

Great to hear the problem chick is doing better :D
The cream legbar could well have been too big but it could also be that it's just a weak chick. Often the weakest fail to hatch and that's just natures way of giving the healthy the best chance. I have often found the failures to pip zip and hatch on their own have been weak and or had problems. Fingers crossed yours is just needing a little more time with it been a difficult hatch for it.

Good luck with them all :D

Back
Top Bottom