I have chicks!!!!!!!!!!

drdoolittle

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 30, 2010
NE Indiana
Well, around 21 days ago, some of my banty hens went broody, so I thought "What the heck, I'll let them set the eggs.", thinking nothing would ever come of it. I was stunned this morning, to hear chicks peeping from in the chicken coop this morning while out doing chores! I discovered 3 eggs that were peeping, and one was starting to hatch! All three were done hatching about 30 min. ago. It's been years since I hatched my own chicks, so this is very exciting!
smile.png

Yes, especially since the last to hatch is the funniest looking thing! I think he must be one of the banties babies-----not too sure about the other two. Well, I didn't leave them out with the hens-----I was too afraid of one of the other chickens killing them. I didn't separate the broody hens early anough, and when I tried to put one of the hens in a cage with the hatching eggs this morning, she just freaked out, and I was afraid she would step all over them and injure them, so I brought the eggs in the house and they'll have to stay in until they're big enough to go out with the flock. Or would the broodies still accept them now that they're already hatched?

Last edited:
I've had really good luck with putting day old chicks in with broodies... make the move in the cover of night and put them under her inside your closed hand so she can't see them, one at a time... in the morning it will be like "Oh, look what I had last night!" Good luck with the babies!

I will post pics asap------it's very hard with dial-up. Two of the chicks are "chipmunk" colored, and the third is black with a white spot on it's head. The third is smaller than the other two.

Back
Top Bottom