I have discovered that 3 of my EE's are roos - Pictures added!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kelly G, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I don't "do" roosters. I just don't want to deal with the potential pain in the neck or the drama. I have a riding academy and lots of kids come and go, and although the chickens are locked up, it is conceivable they could get out. To help against this happening, I have trimmed one wing on each of the chickens.

Back in April, I received an order of 15 pullets from Ideal, and a friend of mine (science teacher) gave me his 6 EE's that she'd hatched out in her science class that are the same age. Everyone integrated well, no problems.

This week, I've heard definite crowing!!! It looks like three are roosters.

They are 22 weeks old now (no-one's laying yet) and they all still run away from me when I approach.

I don't mind having them if they're not mean, but if they're mean - they're outa' here. Pronto.

At what age will I begin to see aggression develop?

Will I have better success keeping all three roosters or just keeping one (fertility rates are not a concern for me).

Is it guaranteed that they will become aggressive?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Im sorry if you post good photos we can tell you for sure if you have roos and hens???

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    One roo per ten hens if you'll be hatching the eggs. any more than that and there is too much stress on the hens.

Not all roos are aggressive. I have some that like to be held.

The only truly aggressive roos I've ever owned were games, RIR and a standard WC Blue Polish... and the polish was the meanest of the bunch.

4. Kelly G

I will post some pics tonight...I'm going out to feed now and will be back shortly.

Just to be clear, the TOTAL number of hens I have is 32 - and in addition to those 32 are three more that I suspect are roos.

I'll be back with pictures.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Hmmmmm. I'm partial to EE roosters, because my dominant rooster (yes, I have more than one) is an EE. He is NOT aggressive. he also keeps the others in line, hens and roosters as well. (Have to admit the "extra" roos are bantam breeds so they wouldn't have a chance if they DID try to fight with him.)

None of them are aggressive to me at all. Basically, they know I Am The Boss Of Them.

You should keep at least one of your EE roosters. Just my opinion. Since they're already 22 weeks old (amazing you haven't heard them before this time!!!) they have already progressed through most of the obnoxious "teen" behavior.

6. Kelly G

I know! I can't believe I haven't heard and crowing at all! My husband and I were just talking about this last week!!!

Ok...I'm really leaving to go feed now [​IMG]

...this is me leaving.....: P

7. Kelly G

OK...they were quite un-cooperative, tonight...but I won!! Sort of....I corraled them into a small area to make it easier on me [​IMG]

O.k. for a baseline example - definite pullets:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And - apparantly - pullets with suspect #1, roo:
    [​IMG]

Suspect #1, again:
    [​IMG]

Suspect #1:
    [​IMG]

Suspect #2 (and actually, my favorite)
    [​IMG]

Suspect #2
    [​IMG]

Suspect #3 - and they most shy of the three:
    [​IMG]

Suspect #3 -
    [​IMG]

8. Chrizjen

Chrizjen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    St. Louis
    I would guess that all three are roos....

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yah, you've got three really nice roosters there. If they grew up together, they've already sorted out the pecking order, and you don't report having had any major blood-letting fights, so it seems they are comfortable with who they are in amongst the flock.

Keep 'em.

I think Suspect #2 is a very very handsome white rooster. REALLY nice looking. Suspect #1 is a very handsome rooster too, but Suspect #2 makes me think he should be called Lancelot.

10. Kelly G

Thanks! I hope they stay nice...if they stay nice, they're welcome to be here. If not, it's off to Craig's List. I'm glad they're wary of me...I plan to keep it that way.

That's funny - the name Lancelot! One of my lesson kids has been calling him "Princess," so Lancelot is a logical substitute - THANKS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by