I have figured out what is wrong with my quail chicks.

Emily Craft

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2020
My hatchlings have somehow gotten coccidiosis so I have ordered a medication to correct it doesn't arrive until Dec 2nd. What are some things that I can do to keep it at bay while I wait?

Garlic, apple cider vinegar, chipotle powder, cinnamon, oregano. These all fight coccidia and are what I use. Per gallon I add two Tbs garlic and 1 acv, 1 tsp cinnamon, and a dash of oregano OR chipotle. Be careful with the last two, they’re potent.

Garlic is potentially deadly to birds. I would suggest clean, clean, clean. Change their water as often as you can. Don't leave the slightest speck of poop in the water or food. Unfortunately, this is all prevention and not much good for the birds that are already sick.

I wish you and your chicks well.

Do you have chickens as well? Quail usually don't contract Coccidiosis. Do you have pics of the chicks and their feces? It would help in determining what's going on with your chicks.

Garlic is potentially deadly to birds. I would suggest clean, clean, clean. Change their water as often as you can. Don't leave the slightest speck of poop in the water or food. Unfortunately, this is all prevention and not much good for the birds that are already sick.

Thank you I will do my best to keep everything as clean as possible.

Where do you get the information that garlic is bad for birds? I’ve used it on dozens of my own, and have friends do the same. Never had a problem. Garlic also goes back centuries, before we had modern medicines, and it is extremely effective. I would go so far as to say safer than an otc medicine and it works with the body instead of against it; it doesn’t destroy the gut biome.

Where do you get the information that garlic is bad for birds? I’ve used it on dozens of my own, and have friends do the same. Never had a problem. Garlic also goes back centuries, before we had modern medicines, and it is extremely effective. I would go so far as to say safer than an otc medicine and it works with the body instead of against it; it doesn’t destroy the gut biome.
I found it in an article on avian veterinary medicine.
https://avianexoticsvet.com/10-everyday-items-that-are-toxic-to-birds/

Back
Top Bottom