I have grain mites AGAIN?!?!?!?!

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
I have a thread on this already but that was in June. I treated everything and got new feed and now I noticed mites in the feed again!!!! I use lowes buckets, one bag of feed is split into each bucket. I have 2 buckets and thw first bucket of feed I checked everyday to make sure no mites and that bucket was fine. I just opened the second bucket and I SAW MITES. I know they hatch WINT him the feed but why does this keep happening. Last time we had the feed outside but this time we stored it in the house. I can’t keep buying new feed and wasting so much but I don’t want to give the chickens mites. Idk what to do, I checked there existing feed in the coop and it seems fine as it’s from the first bucket. I get my feed from Tractor supply and this is the second time.

I personally dump the feed. The grain mites eat the good stuff and leave poop and dust in it's place.

I have had the same issue with TSC. After months of trying to get feed WITHOUT grain mites, I finally learned from an employee why they have such issues with them. We know that grain mites breed and have population explosions when it's hot. Well TSC buys huge lots of feed and stores them in non-clinate controlled wear houses. That is where they pull feed from when they restock.

Pay attention to your mill dates. Do not buy anything over a month old. How long does it take you to feed a whole bag? What kind of feed was it that you had issues with? For me it was Purina Flock Raiser.

Grain mites or black weevils? (It's usually weevils that I've encountered.) Always check the mill dates on the feed bag, the older the feed, the greater the possibility of bugs. You could try adding diatomaceous earth to each bucket before you pour the feed in. But if this is a recurring problem, I'd switch brands or feed stores.

Update: the feed from ACE was very much infested with mites. The bucket was COVERED in them. I don’t know what to do know. I hate hunk I’m going to try and change brands if I can find something. I have no feed for the chickens right now. I’d rather not let them eat the poop and dust from the mites. We’re returning the feed back to the store but I can’t keep buying and wasting the feed.
Nutrena makes a similar feed but it usually comes in pellet form. I personally wouldn't buy food from Ace, as that food is likely 5 times older than what TSC carries.

If TSC is your closest feed store, go there and tell them you want something FRESH and with close to the same amount of protein. I have also switched out for non-medicated starters. I have found that most crumbles are infested with mites from my local TSC though. I now feed duck pellets (no more chickens), and have seen zero issues so far. I'm not sure if that's because pellets are less favored by mites or what.

Make sure you're checking mill dates. That was my biggest life saver as far as mites when I was buying crumbles. If I went through feed faster, the freshest mill dates (less than a month old) wouldn't have succumb to mites. The old feed almost always is infested from the get-go.

We have a freezer. If we store the feed we have now in the freezer would that kill off the mites?
I save flower and veggie seeds from my plants and often freeze them a few days before storing for next year. It will kill the bugs and eggs that can destroy the seeds. Hollyhock seeds get a weevil and it kills them. I think this may work with feed.
I look like a mental patient when I buy feed now. I examine each bag really thoroughly. Like a weirdo. Sorry - Grain mite PTSD!
My DH will help me dig down in the stack to get the best date on feed! I thought I was the only mental patient shopping for feed. Sometimes I ask is there any more in back and get 'the look' from some of them. I don't want old feed! They don't always rotate.

Back
Top Bottom