I have grain mites AGAIN?!?!?!?!

I look like a mental patient when I buy feed now. I examine each bag really thoroughly. Like a weirdo. Sorry - Grain mite PTSD!
I know people were looking at me while I have kneeling down examining every bag. I didn’t even want to touch it. I’m fine with bugs but thousands of mites nope I’ll be leaving.

We have a freezer. If we store the feed we have now in the freezer would that kill off the mites?
I save flower and veggie seeds from my plants and often freeze them a few days before storing for next year. It will kill the bugs and eggs that can destroy the seeds. Hollyhock seeds get a weevil and it kills them. I think this may work with feed.
I look like a mental patient when I buy feed now. I examine each bag really thoroughly. Like a weirdo. Sorry - Grain mite PTSD!
My DH will help me dig down in the stack to get the best date on feed! I thought I was the only mental patient shopping for feed. Sometimes I ask is there any more in back and get 'the look' from some of them. I don't want old feed! They don't always rotate.

I save flower and veggie seeds from my plants and often freeze them a few days before storing for next year. It will kill the bugs and eggs that can destroy the seeds. Hollyhock seeds get a weevil and it kills them. I think this may work with feed.

My DH will help me dig down in the stack to get the best date on feed! I thought I was the only mental patient shopping for feed. Sometimes I ask is there any more in back and get 'the look' from some of them. I don't want old feed! They don't always rotate.
I’m hoping the freezer works! And yeah I didn’t bother looking at the dates when ALL BAGS ARE CIVERED IN MITES no thank you. I saw people just picking them up without looking like did they not see the mites crawling all over😭.

I’m hoping the freezer works! And yeah I didn’t bother looking at the dates when ALL BAGS ARE CIVERED IN MITES no thank you. I saw people just picking them up without looking like did they not see the mites crawling all over😭.
Sarah Silverman Eww GIF by HULU

Update: It kind of works. The freezer helps ALOT. There’s no mites on or around the inside edges of the bucket but after I put the feed in their bowls and have it outside in the heat the cold feed kind of “thaws out” in a way. So the mites that aren’t fully dead yet are still there BUT I’ve only seen a couple compared to the thosudands I was getting which I’m perfectly fine with. At this point I don’t care, the weather is HOT for the rest of the week so I can’t help it but over time I hope this goes away. I still am switching to pellet feed if I can find some that isn’t covered in mites. Thank you!

Update: It kind of works. The freezer helps ALOT. There’s no mites on or around the inside edges of the bucket but after I put the feed in their bowls and have it outside in the heat the cold feed kind of “thaws out” in a way. So the mites that aren’t fully dead yet are still there BUT I’ve only seen a couple compared to the thosudands I was getting which I’m perfectly fine with. At this point I don’t care, the weather is HOT for the rest of the week so I can’t help it but over time I hope this goes away. I still am switching to pellet feed if I can find some that isn’t covered in mites. Thank you!
Heck, I'll take a few over a few thousand. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom