I have grain mites AGAIN?!?!?!?!

Any time we've ever had weevels or ants get in the feed (or come with the feed)(we haven't had a mite issue ever) we always would put the bags in the deep freeze overnight like @Kiki said. Only thing with doing this is the moisture it puts in the feed (it's prob already got some in there anyway, but freezing it seems to make it more moist). So we would keep the bag in there and feed straight from the freezer until it was at about 20 lbs and there was no longer a mold risk. I would definitely show the manager or store associate, that's not acceptable they sell it like that. Chewy.com is a great company (and decently priced) to order from.
I did not feel anyone at the store. I was kind of in my zone trying to get my things and leave. Should I call them? I also got DE and did some of the feed. I only got top of the bucket so when I get near the middle I’ll add more DE so I can get the rest. I think I caught the mites earlier this time because last time they were ALL over the bucket. This time I only say a couple.

I personally dump the feed. The grain mites eat the good stuff and leave poop and dust in it's place.

I have had the same issue with TSC. After months of trying to get feed WITHOUT grain mites, I finally learned from an employee why they have such issues with them. We know that grain mites breed and have population explosions when it's hot. Well TSC buys huge lots of feed and stores them in non-clinate controlled wear houses. That is where they pull feed from when they restock.

Pay attention to your mill dates. Do not buy anything over a month old. How long does it take you to feed a whole bag? What kind of feed was it that you had issues with? For me it was Purina Flock Raiser.

I personally dump the feed. The grain mites eat the good stuff and leave poop and dust in it's place.

I have had the same issue with TSC. After months of trying to get feed WITHOUT grain mites, I finally learned from an employee why they have such issues with them. We know that grain mites breed and have population explosions when it's hot. Well TSC buys huge lots of feed and stores them in non-clinate controlled wear houses. That is where they pull feed from when they restock.

Pay attention to your mill dates. Do not buy anything over a month old. How long does it take you to feed a whole bag? What kind of feed was it that you had issues with? For me it was Purina Flock Raiser.
Right now I have DE in the feed because I saw grain mites on the other bags and didn’t want to buy more feed that had them. I am looking for a different feed store. And I Do use Purina Flock Raiser. That’s the feed causing me problems.

For me it depends if they keep spilling the feed. I’d say about 2-3 weeks for me

Right now I have DE in the feed because I saw grain mites on the other bags and didn’t want to buy more feed that had them. I am looking for a different feed store. And I Do use Purina Flock Raiser. That’s the feed causing me problems.
That was the feed causing me problems too. I poured DE in mine as well. Did nothing.

Hope switching stores helps. Part of me thinks it's the feed itself too. Though when the mill dates from TSC were all 6+ months old, maybe not.

That was the feed causing me problems too. I poured DE in mine as well. Did nothing.

Hope switching stores helps. Part of me thinks it's the feed itself too. Though when the mill dates from TSC were all 6+ months old, maybe not.
I went to ACE pet store and got the same brand feed today. The employees acually told me that 2years ago they had that problem with the grain mites and got rid of all their feed. He said they’ve been doing good since buts it’s also the nasty hot weather. He told me to keep the receipt in case and hopefully this feed is effected.

I went to ACE pet store and got the same brand feed today. The employees acually told me that 2years ago they had that problem with the grain mites and got rid of all their feed. He said they’ve been doing good since buts it’s also the nasty hot weather. He told me to keep the receipt in case and hopefully this feed is effected.
Fingers crossed this time will be better!

Back
Top Bottom