I have grain mites AGAIN?!?!?!?!

And you could try just leaving it in longer (if you're able to) like a week (if you have like a deep freeze with some space). I've seen ants survive our freezer if we put the bag in there overnight (just a few like you said) but the longer we left it in it pretty much guaranteed none were alive (and became a nice little protein treat for the consumer of the feed).

And you could try just leaving it in longer (if you're able to) like a week (if you have like a deep freeze with some space). I've seen ants survive our freezer if we put the bag in there overnight (just a few like you said) but the longer we left it in it pretty much guaranteed none were alive (and became a nice little protein treat for the consumer of the feed).
Should we maybe turn the freezer up? It’s at one right now. We only turned because the bucket started frosting up

So I know on ours we have it @ 6 I think (do you have a thermometer you can put in it that will show what the internal temp is?). And at 6 it is -10 degrees in our chest freezer. When we only had it @ 4 it was barely at 0. So it probably wouldn't hurt to turn your dial up. Ours is a GE model.

So I know on ours we have it @ 6 I think (do you have a thermometer you can put in it that will show what the internal temp is?). And at 6 it is -10 degrees in our chest freezer. When we only had it @ 4 it was barely at 0. So it probably wouldn't hurt to turn your dial up. Ours is a GE model.
We don’t have a thermometer right now but we can get one. We only turned it down to one bc I though the moisture would cause mold. If it won’t cause mold should I turn the temp up?

I feel like you only saw moisture because the feed in the bucket was warm (room temp) and the freezer was below 32* but once the contents of the bucket temp evens out to 32 or less that tiny bit of moisture will also freeze. Scoop out what you need, leave the rest frozen if you can. I think the longer its frozen the less chance they are eating the nutrition out and making more mites.
Dry feed also has some moisture content even though it feels dry to your hand. This and the temp change may be part of it.
Hope this makes since. lol

I have a thread on this already but that was in June. I treated everything and got new feed and now I noticed mites in the feed again!!!! I use lowes buckets, one bag of feed is split into each bucket. I have 2 buckets and thw first bucket of feed I checked everyday to make sure no mites and that bucket was fine. I just opened the second bucket and I SAW MITES. I know they hatch WINT him the feed but why does this keep happening. Last time we had the feed outside but this time we stored it in the house. I can’t keep buying new feed and wasting so much but I don’t want to give the chickens mites. Idk what to do, I checked there existing feed in the coop and it seems fine as it’s from the first bucket. I get my feed from Tractor supply and this is the second time.
They are pretty much unavoidable, but here’s what I do…. I buy my feed from a local farmer who grows, mixes and bags feed for other farms (Farmers would go broke if they paid what we do per pound)… His feed doesn’t sit in warehouses like retail stores But here’s what I do… Go online and get yourself a couple of air tight bucket lids, like “Gamma Lids” or “Air-Tight Lids”. Also, get yourself a large bag of “Oxygen Absorbers”… When you buy feed, put as much feed in a bucket (use the 3 gal. size) as you can fit (more feed = less air), Make sure feed is dry before storing it. Bring it into the air conditioned house for a few days, if necessary. Toss in as many oxygen absorbers as necessary. They not only remove all oxygen, but create a strong vacuum too. Then store in the driest, coolest place you can… Your problem will be solved, and you’ve extended the “Use By” date as well.
Good Luck,
+Blessing
Rev. Dr. Lee

Back
Top Bottom