I have Green Eggs! Can I eat them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bubbalex, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Bubbalex

Bubbalex New Egg

Aug 26, 2007
    Went to my coop the other day and to my surprise I discovered a green egg. Since my hens have been laying brown eggs for weeks now I assumed it was a bad one and tossed it. Well I got another the next day and then two days later. This is great I have an EE in the group (as I learned from these forums). Silly Question --- Can I eat those green eggs?

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Yep - the color of the shell has no bearing on the taste or nutritional content of the egg.

My girls will lay brown eggs when they get started, and I have started buying brown eggs to get the kids used to the color. I figured they might balk at those brown eggs (I sure would have when I was a very picky eater as a kid) BUT they think the non-white eggs are cool.

I kind of wish I'd ordered some EEs with my group of girls now...

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Only with ham. [​IMG]
    Of course you can. Just an egg color. The only time you don't want to eat green eggs is if the green is on the inside.

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    They are delicious! Gobble them up!!

We also share ours with parents of small children (Green Eggs & Ham listeners).

5. Bubbalex

Bubbalex New Egg

Aug 26, 2007
    Just thought I would check since I have never seen them sold in the stores. You have to admit that the first time you see one it just doesnÂ’t look natural. Thanks!

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    But they are sooo pretty! I jsut love them!!

7. broncbuster07

broncbuster07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    Quote:If I was you, I would not eat them on a boat and I would not eat them with a goat! :|

8. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:The first time I saw a green egg was as a little girl, when my aunt kept EE's...been a fan of them ever since!

I know of people that won't eat them because they aren't sold in stores so they can't be okay!!![​IMG]

Dawn

9. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    you cant eat them because they are not sold in stores, same as brown eggs are from farms, white eggs from stores [​IMG]

10. cruelshoes

cruelshoes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2007
    Washington State
    You can eat them in a box, and you can eat them with a fox. You can eat them here and there - you can eat them anywhere.

[​IMG]

I can't wait until we get our first EE egg! I hope they are green......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by